Juice—Power, Politics, and the Grid, Part 5: “Industrial Cathedrals”

Valin

Power Line

Steven Hayward

Feb. 4 2024

The final installment of Robert Bryce’s new documentary decries our short-term thinking about what is almost literally the backbone of modern civilization: the electricity grid. We take it for granted, and allowed it to become the plaything of the green dreamers. We are setting ourselves up for catastrophe.

If you haven’t already, there’s still time to sign up for Robert’s free Substack (he has a cool podcast, too). It’s worth if just for the database he keeps of rejected renewable energy projects—the only such tracking project that I am aware of.

Jan 30, 2024

America is plagued by short-term thinking, particularly regarding our electric grid. If we are going to be serious about energy security, energy access, and climate change, we need to make our electric grid weather-resilient, not weather-dependent. That will require thinking long-term. It will require embracing fission. It will require us to consider our nuclear power plants as the crowning achievements of our society. It will require us to see them, as Emmet Penney does, as “industrial cathedrals.” Watch JUICE: POWER, POLITICS & THE GRID via links below:

Juice: Power, Politics & The Grid Is Out!
Our five-part docuseries on the fragilization of the electric grid is on YouTube. It’s free. And it’s terrific.
Jan 31, 2024

After finishing our first documentary in 2019, I told myself I was done making films. The process of making documentaries takes too long, costs too much, and involves too much friction, particularly when it comes to distribution.

But in February 2021, Lorin and I lost power at our home here in Austin for 48 hours. My colleague, Tyson Culver, who directed our first film, Juice: How Electricity Explains The World, also lost power. That blackout and the fact that the ERCOT grid nearly collapsed, convinced us that we had to do another film. And now, three years later, we accomplished what we set out to do. Our five-part docuseries, Juice: Power, Politics & The Grid, is now available for free on YouTube.

Rather than make a feature-length film, we decided to make this content as user-friendly as possible. That’s why we broke it into five episodes, each lasting about 20 minutes.

(Snip)