US Navy To Enlist Recruits Without High School Diplomas

Geee

Daily Caller

Recruits that lack a high school diploma or a GED can now join the U.S. Navy, per changes announced by Chief of Naval Personnel Rick Cheeseman.

The news marks an opportunity for people that don’t have either a diploma or a GED to test their way into the service, as those without the aforementioned credentials must score at least a 50 on the Armed Services Qualification Test, which is out of 99, the Associated Press reported.

“We get thousands of people into our recruiting stations every year that want to join the Navy but do not have an education credential. And we just turn them away,” the Vice Adm. Rick Cheeseman told the AP in a Friday interview.

Last year, some 2,400 prospective sailors were denied admission because of the education requirement, Cheeseman explained. Under the new rules, Cheeseman estimated that some 500 or so of that lot could get in based on testing alone.

The overall increase in flexibility with regard to enlistment comes as a result of an impending recruitment crisis plaguing the U.S. military as a whole.:snip:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Geee said:

Under the new rules, Cheeseman estimated that some 500 or so of that lot could get in based on testing alone.

Anybody else remember "Project Upgrade" from the 80s?  Thousands of sailors were sent home before their enlistment ended because recruiting "flexibility" gave negative results.

• Like 3

@Geee

1. 100-120 years(?) ago not a problem. HS diploma, was not the Standard.

2. Pre 1941 we  didn't have or Need a large military (contrary to popular opinion) we Do Today.

3. The Military today is VERY technological, even more so than 50 years ago when I was in (the Tail to Teeth ratio is greater than then) Smart weapons NEED Smart people to run/maintain them.

4. Its Not just schooling. Is physical conditioning (lot of chubby 18 year olds out there), and and attitudes (thanks to Schools Of Education), not  just in young people bu large part of society. ie Why send our best and brightest off to some hell hole, when we can't control The Border (I could mention some very famous/popular people  saying this).

14 minutes ago, Valin said:

Its Not just schooling. Is physical conditioning (lot of chubby 18 year olds out there), and and attitudes (thanks to Schools Of Education),

Maybe it would be better to look at some sort of extended boot camp (6 months) where we won't lower the standards, but we'll help you meet them:

You get:

Academic instruction to close deficiencies

Physical training to meet the requirements

Room and board (mess hall and barracks)

Basic military training - rank structure, rules and regulations, some practical training (first aid, vocational, etc.)

1/2 E-1 pay.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, SDwaters said:

from the 80s?

Too busy in the 80's trying to keep our business from going bankrupt in Jimmy Carter's economy to dwell on the news :blink:

1 hour ago, SDwaters said:

Maybe it would be better to look at some sort of extended boot camp (6 months) where we won't lower the standards, but we'll help you meet them:

Its an Idea!  I would add History Particularly of your branch ie This is what you have to live up to, This is why we have you do what we have you do. (The Pacific, Band Of Brothers, Battleground, The DI, (The Book) Starship Trooper, etc etc) Propaganda they'd say. Yes and our point?

OTOH I foresee letters wrote home The DI Was Mean To Me, He Yelled At Me!

Putting on my Geezer In My Day hat, I have problems with Co-Ed training.

• Confused 1

Related

Jan 30, 2024

You might be surprised to learn the US Marines believe their M1A1 main battle tanks would only hold them back. They’ve officially decided to ditch their tanks, dissolving all 7 of their long storied tank companies as part of their bold but risky new Force Design 2030 plan. This controversial decision will call for the corps to get rid of most of their gun based artillery and a whole host of other vehicles and aircraft in exchange for new capabilities. On face value this might sound crazy but if you dig deeper it's crazy like a fox. What are the pros and cons of this new plan?

(Snip)

• 2 weeks later...

In recent years, Beijing has undertaken serious military downsizing measures by cutting nearly 300,000 soldiers from its land-based forces in 2019. The PLA is still massive at 2 million personnel however when we consider the fact that their population is 1.4 billion…the percentage who serve is only .15% which is lower than that of the US and the majority of countries worldwide. At the same time China has invested billions of dollars in defense modernization initiatives.

(Snip)

Draggingtree
On 1/28/2024 at 12:41 PM, SDwaters said:

You get:

Academic instruction to close deficiencies

Physical training to meet the requirements

Room and board (mess hall and barracks)

Basic military training - rank structure, rules and regulations, some practical training (first aid, vocational, etc.)

1/2 E-1 pay.

👎