Ex-Trump adviser Peter Navarro sentenced to 4 months in prison after defying Jan. 6 subpoena

Geee

Just the News

Former Trump White House trade adviser Peter Navarro on Thursday was sentenced to four months in prison following his conviction in September on two counts of congressional contempt after he defied a subpoena from the former House select committee that probed the Jan. 6, 2021, U.S. Capitol riot. 

Both counts carry mandatory minimum sentences of one month in prison, but prosecutors said in a filing last week that the amount of time "is insufficient to account for, punish, and deter the Defendant's criminal offense," according to ABC News

Prosecutors asked federal Judge Amit Mehta to sentence Navarro, 74, to six months in prison for each charge, running concurrently, and fine him $200,000, which is $100,000 for each count, per CNN.

The judge ultimately ordered Navarro to pay a $9,500 fine.:snip:

The Swamp has bankrupted, imprisoned and ruined the reputation of many decent and honorable people. I really don't think they will do any different if there is another Trump administration. This brings the question - what decent person would want to serve in the next administration?

1 hour ago, Geee said:

The Swamp has bankrupted, imprisoned and ruined the reputation of many decent and honorable people. I really don't think they will do any different if there is another Trump administration. This brings the question - what decent person would want to serve in the next administration?

I am hoping Donald Trump has learned somethings about Washington DC and (politically) how it works. Last time he was an amateur, and  would not listen to contrary advice, I'm thinking this time May Be Different.  Politics is a Profession that requires certain skills, that don't apply to private business. Hopefully Donald Trump has learned some of these skills.

As for Who? Thick Skin and the ability to Play The DC Game  (that means knowing when to Hold em, when to fold them, take what you can when you can, then come back for more). This also means walking into the Oval Office and taking the heat for telling *The President Not Right Now. And having Right Wing call you a traitor.

* Waaay to often in the 1st administration Trump did not want to hear that. At least that's  how it appears to me.

BTW "Draining The Swamp" we're talking years/decades with setbacks.

"Its taken 80 years to get us in this situation, it may take that long to get out of it"

Mark Levin to the TEA Party 2010

ROGER STONE EXCLUSIVE: The FBI Stormed My Home and Arrested Me 5 Years Ago Today

January 25, 2024

It was exactly five years ago today, on January 25th, 2019, that 29 heavily-armed FBI agents in full SWAT gear and brandishing fully automatic M4 assault weapons surrounded my home to take me into custody for the entirely fabricated crime of lying under oath to Congress in my voluntary testimony before the House Intelligence Committee in their investigation into nonexistent “Russian collusion” with Donald Trump’s presidential campaign in 2016.

As I’m sure many will remember, CNN just happened to coincidentally have a camera crew positioned a mere 25-feet from the front door of my home. Although CNN would insist that their correspondent, producer, and camera crew made it there on the basis of shrewd investigative reporting and a hunch, documents sent to my lawyers by CNN that very morning would not only prove that CNN had been tipped off about my arrest, but also revealed who had gave them the advance notice of the raid on my home in violation of the law. Leaking the government’s plans to execute either an arrest or search warrant before the act is a felony.

I was arrested at 6:06 A.M., and at 6:20 A.M. CNN correspondent Sarah Murray texted my lawyer Grant Smith Esq. a copy of my still-sealed criminal indictment. In fact, the indictment would not be unsealed until 10:30 A.M. that morning by a magistrate in Washington D.C. While the document CNN sent my attorney had no timestamp or court markings on it, an examination of the metadata tags revealed the initials of the man who wrote it and who, therefore, also leaked it; Mueller henchman Andrew Weismann. Murray’s subsequent claim that the document she sent my lawyer had been obtained on the Special Counsel’s website is a blatant lie easily disproved with the use of the Wayback Machine. CNN would actually receive an award from the White House Correspondents’ Association for their dogged investigative reporting that allowed them to be present when my wife and I were perp walked out of our Fort Lauderdale home for CNN‘s cameras. Their claims are a lie.:snip:

After Navarro's sentencing, Rep. Loudermilk questions equal justice for defying subpoenas

:snip:

Navarro was sentenced on Thursday to four months in prison following his conviction in September on two counts of congressional contempt after he defied a subpoena from the former House select committee that probed the Jan. 6, 2021, U.S. Capitol riot. Navarro was found guilty of one contempt count related to his refusal to appear for a deposition and another count related to his refusal to produce documents in response to the congressional subpoena.

Observers wonder if a similar fate awaits Hunter Biden.

:snip: