Arctic Cold Blast Could Smash Records as Millions of Americans Face Below-Zero Temperatures

Geee

Worthy News

An Arctic cold blast is blanketing the country, bringing record-breaking frigid conditions threatening to smash records, including the Deep South, until Wednesday. Tens of thousands nationwide are facing power outages due to the extreme winter conditions. Meanwhile, a blizzard that hit the Northeast led to the postponement of an NFL game.

Approximately 95 million individuals nationwide were under weather warnings or advisories on Sunday due to wind chills dropping below zero Fahrenheit (minus 17 Celsius), with extreme cold conditions continuing into the middle of the week.

On Sunday, widespread power outages impacting tens of thousands were documented in Michigan, New York, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. Meanwhile, in Nebraska, the Omaha Public Power District issued a request to customers, urging them to conserve electricity to avoid further outages.

Over 130,000 residents in Oregon dealt with power outages as high winds and a combination of snow and ice brought down trees and power lines.

Airports nationwide experienced disruptions, with over 50% of flights to and from Buffalo Niagara International Airport being canceled. Additionally, a significant number of flights faced cancellations or delays at airports in Chicago, Denver, and Seattle-Tacoma.:snip:

What if global warming is a good thing?

A couple of years I was conversing with a man whom I've known for some decades. The talk turned briefly to global warming (who knows why) and I still remember the pithy point he made: "No one has ever explained why it's supposed to be a bad thing."

And, really, I have never heard that explanation, either. Oh, I know all about the presumption of rising sea levels, but those estimates are all over the place; I've read over time that the average sea level will rise from a couple of inches to many feet. The latter, of course, could be true only if there is total melting of both polar caps, but you have to wade through the fine print to see that. The only downside I have ever read about rising sea levels is that a large percentage of the earth's population lives near the sea and could be flooded out. Which might be true if the ocean rose by many feet, not a few inches, and if it rose very suddenly, not over a period of many decades. Even so, I will not dispute that significantly rising sea levels could turn out to be a bad thing, bearing in mind, always, that the key is "how much." The IPCC's latest estimate is 7-23 inches, which frankly does not seem an unmanageable amount to adjust to over the next 100 years.

Anyway, I commend to you J. R. Dunn's essay,"Resisting Global Warming Panic," expecially his exposition of the "medieval warm period, more commonly known as the Little Climatic Optimum (LCO), a period stretching roughly from the 10th to the 13th centuries, in which the average temperature was anything from 1 to 3 degrees centigrade higher than it is today."

* How warm was it during the LCO? Areas in the Midlands and Scotland that cannot grow crops today were regularly farmed. England was known for its wine exports.

* The average height of Britons around A.D. 1000 was close to six feet, thanks to good nutrition. The small stature of the British lower classes (and the Irish) later in the millennium is an artifact of lower temperatures. People of the 20th century were the first Europeans in centuries to grow to their "true" stature - and most had to grow up in the USA to do it.

* In fact, famine - and its partner, plague -- appears to have taken a hike for several centuries. We have records of only a handful of famines during the LCO, and few mass outbreaks of disease. The bubonic plague itself appears to have retreated to its heartland of Central Asia.:snip:

On 1/17/2024 at 6:23 AM, Valin said:

@Geee

Wanna be this time next yea we see the same kind of article?

il_1588xN.3055680086_bl71-4096000420.jpg

• Like 1