Happy Monday

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

Bill Gray 

www.hillsdale.edu
To:adamsgeorge3@yahoo.com

Mon, Jan 8 at 3:21 PM

Happy Monday, Mr. Adams! 

Will you be watching the big game tonight? It’s still football season here in Michigan. A lot of people—not just here—but all over the country will be watching the College Football Playoff National Championship this evening.   

I’ll admit—when it comes to football—I’m more likely to cheer on the Hillsdale College Chargers than the Wolverines. What can I say? I support home team through and through.  

And while I know everyone tends to get worked up about the big game, an important truth is that some things in life (ok, most things) are more important than bowl bids and championship games… 

…But, back in 1955, our football team received an invitation to play in the Tangerine Bowl. It was our first bowl bid EVER.  

There was just one issue.  

Hillsdale College could only play if it left behind its black players! 

However, in keeping with the College’s charter—prohibiting any discrimination based on race, religion, or sex—and our history as an early force for the abolition of slavery—the team stayed true to their principles and teammates. 

They DECLINED to play in the Tangerine Bowl. I’m so proud to be part of a college that stands up for its principles…even if it meant missing the big game.  

And I’m not alone. Students of the Dow Journalism Program’s Video Storytelling class created a documentary about this defining moment in our athletic history.  

You can watch the documentary, titled “A Better Kind of Glory,” for free online here (it’s about 30 minutes long):  

https://hillsdalechargers.com/general/2020-21/videos/A_Better_Kind_of_Glory?list=/headlines-videos 

Mr. Adams, thank you so much for being a part of this same college. Your support—your giving, your prayers, and your help—lets us stay true to our 180-year-old mission. Not only that, but you help us preserve our unique history, inspiring others with projects like “A Better Kind of Glory.”  

I hope you enjoy the short film. Please feel free to share the documentary with your family and friends. 

Enjoy the game tonight (if you’re watching). I’m already looking forward to next fall when I can cheer “GO CHARGERS!” from the stands.  

Warm regards,  

Bill Gray, ’01  
Vice President  
National Donor Outreach  
Hillsdale College