HARVARD PRESIDENT CLAUDINE GAY RESIGNS, SHORTEST TENURE IN UNIVERSITY HISTORY

Valin

The Harvard Crimson

Emma H. Haidar and Cam E. Kettles, Crimson Staff Writers

Jan. 2 2024

Harvard President Claudine Gay will resign Tuesday afternoon, bringing an end to the shortest presidency in the University's history, according to a person with knowledge of the decision.

University Provost Alan M. Garber '76 will serve as Harvard's interim president during a search for Gay's permanent successor, the Harvard Corporation — the University's highest governing body — announced in an email on Tuesday.

Harvard spokesperson Jonathan L. Swain declined to comment on Gay's decision to step down.

(Snip)

• Like 1

Breaking: Gone Gay

Steven Hayward

Jan. 2 2024

Well, 2024 seems to be off to a great start: Claudine Gay is resigning as president of Harvard. It had to kill the Harvard establishment to take this step, since they had framed the possibility as “giving in to the right.”

Of course the problem is that Gay’s resignation will change little at Harvard, or any other elite university. It is a certainty that Harvard will find someone equally committed to “progressive” values—racial diversity chief among them—to replace Gay. They’ll just be more careful in reviewing the next president’s record. (Heck, they might quietly hire Chris Rufo to vet the field.)

By coincidence, last night for grins I dusted off Randall Jarrell’s classic 1952 satire of higher education, Pictures From an Institution. Its description of the cliche-driven president of the fictional Benton College, Derek Robbins, reads exactly like what every college president today sounds like. This passage is one of the highlights of the novel, parts of which sound not unlike Claudine Gay’s resignation letter today:

(Snip)

Bill Ackman: How to Fix Harvard

Claudine Gay’s ouster won’t change things. The college needs a complete overhaul, starting with a resignation of the board and the removal of DEI from every corner of the institution…

Bill Ackman

January 3, 2024

(Snip)

I ultimately concluded that antisemitism was not the core of the problem. It was simply a troubling warning sign—it was the “canary in the coal mine”—despite how destructive it was in impacting student life and learning on campus.

I came to learn that the root cause of antisemitism at Harvard was an ideology that had been promulgated on campus, an oppressor/oppressed framework, that provided the intellectual bulwark behind the protests, helping to generate anti-Israel and anti-Jewish hate speech and harassment.

Then I did more research. The more I learned, the more concerned I became, and the more ignorant I realized I had been about DEI, a powerful movement that has not only pervaded Harvard but the educational system at large. I came to understand that diversity, equity, and inclusion was not what I had naively thought these words meant.

(Snip)

Bill Wakes Up...Finally.

Top Comment

"I first became concerned about Harvard...early on the morning of October 8".

With all due respect, Mr. Ackman, that was your first mistake. For years, Bari Weiss and others have been screaming from the rooftops about how DEI has been a parasite infecting elite universities. You would have heard them if you had been listening.

Still - better late than never.

A Progressive View

Jan 3, 2024 Latest Shows

We look at the resignation of Harvard University President Claudine Gay, the first African American and second woman to lead the Ivy League school, after conservative-led allegations of plagiarism and backlash over her testimony at a congressional hearing on antisemitism that is part of a broader effort to censor pro-Palestinian speech on college campuses. “This is a terrible moment for higher education,” says Khalil Gibran Muhammad, professor of history, race and public policy at the Harvard Kennedy School. He says plagiarism became a “pretext” to oust Gay, and discusses the larger right-wing war on education aimed at undoing progress on race, gender and addressing inequality.

Transcript: https://www.democracynow.org/2024/1/3...

SDwaters

From the transcript:

:snip:

We look at the resignation of Harvard University President Claudine Gay, the first African American and second woman to lead the Ivy League school, after conservative-led allegations of plagiarism and backlash over her testimony at a congressional hearing on antisemitism that is part of a broader effort to censor pro-Palestinian speech on college campuses. 

So now, calls for genocide are just "pro-Palestinian speech"?

19 minutes ago, SDwaters said:

From the transcript:

We look at the resignation of Harvard University President Claudine Gay, the first African American and second woman to lead the Ivy League school, after conservative-led allegations of plagiarism and backlash over her testimony at a congressional hearing on antisemitism that is part of a broader effort to censor pro-Palestinian speech on college campuses. 

So now, calls for genocide are just "pro-Palestinian speech"?

1. Its only Genocide IF Da Jews do it

2. A Small Inconvenient FACT I have pointed out to those calling this Genocide. If Da Jews wanted to commit genocide against  Palestinians in The Gaza Strip, by this time their would not be any Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.

220px-Bomb_damage_in_Tokyo.jpg&f=1&nofb=

Gaza City would look pretty much Like This

Tokyo March 10 1945