State of the Race: Top 5 Senate seats held by Democrats most likely to flip in 2024

Geee

Fox News

When it came, it appeared to strike a major blow to their hopes of holding their razor-thin Senate majority in the 2024 elections.

"I have made one of the toughest decisions of my life and decided that I will not be running for re-election to the United States Senate," Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia announced in November.

Manchin, a moderate Democrat and former governor, won over 60% of the vote in his 2012 re-election, but his margin of victory fell to just three points in 2018.

The consensus was that Manchin was the only Democrat who could win in West Virginia next year after his state shifted dramatically to the right over the past decade. Former President Donald Trump carried West Virginia by nearly 40 points in the 2020 election.

Democrats control the U.S. Senate with a 51-49 majority, but Republicans are looking at a favorable Senate map in 2024, with Democrats defending 23 of the 34 seats up for grabs. Three of those seats are in red states that Trump carried in 2020 — West Virginia, Montana and Ohio.

Five other blue-held seats are in key swing states narrowly carried by President Biden in 2020 — Arizona, Michigan, Nevada, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.:snip:

1 hour ago, Geee said:

Democrats control the U.S. Senate with a 51-49 majority, but Republicans are looking at a favorable Senate map in 2024, with Democrats defending 23 of the 34 seats up for grabs.

Never underestimate the ability of the RNC (et. al) to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  As we said in the Navy "They could screw up a one-person watch bill".

18 minutes ago, SDwaters said:

Never underestimate the ability of the RNC (et. al) to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  As we said in the Navy "They could screw up a one-person watch bill".

:thumbup:

26 minutes ago, Valin said:

Assuming the GOP regains control of The Senate, a question. Who will the Majority Leader Be? Mitch McConnell, or someone else?

I think Mitch will step down. Perfect opportunity to do it gracefully.

• Like 2