Barbecue

Draggingtree

Barbecue

Southern Pessimist

October 18, 2023 

Cooking meat on a grill or smoker has become a vital test of every man’s culinary skill. My housekeeper’s unemployed husband recently bought a $3,500 smoker to expand his talents. I have tried to develop the skills of a pit master over the years but have found it to be with serious flaws, mainly because of the difficultly of controlling all of the variables that can ruin a meal. I am basically lazy, but I like to eat, and have learned how to create the flavor and texture of the food I like. For cooking meat, there is nothing better than sous-vide. Here is how I slow-cook pulled pork.

Start with a pork shoulder, 3 to 4 pounds. Cut the meat into large chunks and place in one-gallon freezer bags. Add salt and several splashes of liquid smoke. Cook in a sous-vide water bath at 165 degrees for 16 hours. Place the meat on a cutting board and use two forks to pull it apart. Place the meat back into a pan for the oven and add one cup of the liquid from the sous-vide bags. Season the meat with a pork rub that you like. I like a mixture of Butt Rub and McCormick’s Barbecue seasoning. Heat it in the oven at 350 degrees for maybe 30 minutes, then serve with a liquid barbecue sauce on top.:snip:https://ricochet.com/1504518/barbecue/

6 hours ago, Geee said:

@Draggingtree

Learn something new every day.Had to look up sous-vide. Never heard of it before. Interesting. 

You want to share and save me & others time ?

What is sous vide

What is Sous Vide, Exactly?

Sous vide is a low-temperature cooking method where food is vacuum-sealed and slowly cooked in a water bath. French for "under vacuum," sous vide uses heated water to gently cook food so that it stays juicy and flavorful. The water temperature is well below simmering, anywhere from 125 degrees F to 195 degrees F.

Effectively, the temperature you choose for your sous vide machine will be the same temperature of your food when it's cooked. For something like a medium-rare steak, this is very handy. Sous vide also gives food a uniform texture by cooking inside and outside at the exact same rate. A sous vide steak is medium rare all the way through, instead of being pink in the center and grey around the edges. This is a common problem with dry-heat cooking methods like pan-searing or grilling — the outside of the meat tends to cook before the inside, resulting in unevenly-cooked food.:snip: