Mike Rowe is on a mission to reverse the 'unspeakable stupidity' of devaluing work

Geee

Washington Examiner

A few months ago, Mike Rowe stumbled upon a 2011 video of himself speaking in front of the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee during the Obama administration about the mindset of government toward skilled trades. His argument was that skilled trades were the key to saving our economy, not those jobs that require a four-year degree.

His argument fell on deaf ears.

So he went again in April of 2014, this time testifying before the House Committee on Natural Resources to discuss the opportunities for skilled trade workers in the energy industry. This time he brought props, specifically the poster his guidance counselor from high school pointed to when he tried to bully Rowe into picking a high-priced university over a community college his senior year.

Rowe said he had nothing against college, but the universities his counselor recommended were expensive. “I had no idea what I wanted to study. I thought a community college made more sense, but Mr. Dunbar said a two-year school was ‘beneath my potential’,” explained Rowe.

“Mr. Dunbar pointed to a poster hanging behind his desk — on one side of the poster was a beaten-down, depressed-looking blue-collar worker. On the other side was an optimistic college graduate with his eyes on the horizon. Underneath them, the text read: Work Smart NOT Hard,” Rowe told the committee.

"Mike, look at these two guys," Mr. Dunbar said. "Which one do you want to be?":snip:

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
Mar 18, 2024

Former Dirty Jobs Star Mike Rowe has been gaining press attention after news broke that he was on Presidential Candidate RFK Jr.'s short-list for Vice President. After appearing on CNN to discuss the news, Rowe left CNN's Erin Burnett STUNNED

• Like 1