Texas To Ban Diversity, Equity And Inclusion Efforts At Public Universities

Valin

HuffPo

DEI has become a core part of many colleges, but critics accuse the programs of fueling division.
Kelby Vera
May 28, 2023

Texas lawmakers have moved to shutter all diversity, equity and inclusion efforts at publicly funded universities in the state.

Legislators in both chambers approved the final version of Senate Bill 17 on Sunday and it is now headed to Gov. Greg Abbott (R) to be signed.

If approved, SB 17 would require Texas’ public universities to dismantle their DEI offices, programs and training in the next six months. The bill also bans institutions from mandating any DEI training as a condition of employment or admission to the university, and orders all hiring practices be “color-blind and sex-neutral.”

The legislation would not affect course instruction, faculty research, student organizations, guest speakers, data collection or admissions.

(Snip)

Educators came out in opposition to the bill in a statement from the Texas Conference of the American Association of University Professors on Saturday.

(Snip)

Best Comment

"Somebody replied to me just yesterday claiming Texans were not intolerant... they really don't seem to be paying attention to what's going on in their own state, now do they?"

The  Reply

"This is the very definition of tolerance. Hiring people based on Merit instead of racism is the definition of Tolerance.

“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character""