Pro-Life Groups Challenge Trump’s Suggestion That Florida’s Heartbeat Ban Is ‘Too Harsh’

Valin

The Daily Signal

Mary Margaret Olohan

May 15, 2023

Pro-life groups are pushing back against former President Donald Trump’s claim that the movement against abortion finds Florida’s new pro-life legislation “too harsh.”

“The pro-life movement demands a presidential candidate who will boldly advocate for the human rights of all people,” Noah Brandt, vice president of communications at Live Action, told The Daily Signal. “It is sad and disappointing to see a candidate attack the people of Florida for protecting pre-born Floridians with a detectable heartbeat.”

The former president discussed abortion during an interview with The Messenger, in which he repeatedly criticized Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, a fellow Republican, calling him “disloyal.” He also weighed in on Florida’s new heartbeat law, which prohibits doctors from “knowingly performing” an abortion on a baby whose age is determined to be more than six weeks. The law provides exceptions if the mother is a victim of rape, incest, or human trafficking.

“He has to do what he has to do,” Trump said of the law, according to The Messenger. “If you look at what DeSantis did, a lot of people don’t even know if he knew what he was doing. But he signed six weeks, and many people within the pro-life movement feel that that was too harsh.”

(Snip)

:blink:

Team Trump Accuses DeSantis Of Plan To ‘Terrorize’ FL GOP Lawmakers After 99 Endorse DeSantis, 1 Goes Trump
Ryan Saavedra
May 17, 2023

Nearly all Republicans in the Florida legislature have decided to endorse Governor Ron DeSantis over former President Donald Trump, according to a list released this week.

The pro-DeSantis super PAC Never Back Down released the list showing that 99 of the 113 Republicans in the Florida legislature signed a document endorsing DeSantis over Trump. Of the 14 remaining Republicans, only one has endorsed Trump.

(Snip)

The Trump campaign responded, claiming that DeSantis was “terroriz[ing]” the Florida legislature into endorsing him by threatening to veto legislation. They did not name a single piece of legislation that DeSantis threatened to veto.

(Snip)

Top Comment

I’m getting tired of the friendly fire from trump. It’s not endearing and makes me less and less likely to vote for him. If I were him, I would congratulate Ron on his successes and work in how he was my most successful endorsement and how I could repeat that return on endorsement as the president.

:thumbup: 22 :thumbdown: 1

On abortion, Trump doesn’t get to have it both ways
Nicole Russell
May 21, 2023

In an interview with Newsmax on Tuesday, former President Donald Trump made some concerning claims demonstrating why he should no longer represent the GOP in a presidential primary. In a span of 30 seconds, he both took credit for dismantling Roe v. Wade and slammed Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis for alienating women because he has taken too strong of a pro-life stance on recent legislation.

At the beginning of the news hit, Trump said:

*First of all, I’m the one that got rid of Roe v. Wade, and everybody said that was an impossible thing to do. I put on three Supreme Court justices. Very few people have had that privilege, the honor, and they are terrific people. And they happen to believe that Roe v. Wade should not be there. It’s been now brought back to the states.

This is a bizarre way to describe what happened at the Supreme Court last June when justices ruled on Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization in a way that essentially tossed Roe back to the states.

(Snip)

mcconnellmitch_120721gn_lead.jpg?w=1280

Excuse Me!

• 1 month later...