Ron DeSantis Savages a Reporter for Pushing Radical Gender Ideology

Geee

RedState

Ron DeSantis wrapped up arguably the most successful, conservative special session in Florida’s history on Friday. The achievements stretch a mile long, including constitutional carry, an abortion ban, battling Disney, stopping the sexualization of children in schools, and legislation combatting ESG.

One of the most important accomplishments, though, was a ban on so-called “gender-affirming care” for minors. That bill is on the way to DeSantis’ desk, and he’s already promised to sign it.

Right on cue, the usual suspects are already throwing a fit. During DeSantis’ end-of-session press conference, one reporter tried to play the issue up as Florida denying children “healthcare,” and the governor exploded in response.

REPORTER: Do you think American voters want (unintelligible)…

DESANTIS: How many of these people are paid to come? I mean honestly, it’s like, seriously, some of this stuff is just totally manufactured, and when you talk to people, and I know like people in your industry will dress it up in a euphemism, and they’ll say it’s healthcare to cut off the private parts of a 14 or 15-year-old. That is not healthcare, it’s mutilation.

So when we’re standing up against that, we’re protecting kids.:snip:

• Like 1

Why DeSantis Is Reportedly Nixing an Exploratory Committee Before Taking on Trump Next Month

:snip:

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is moving more aggressively toward making his 2024 presidential campaign official, with sources telling ABC News the governor's team is leaning toward skipping the launch of an exploratory committee altogether and is instead expected to launch a full presidential campaign next month. 

The decision to skip the exploratory committee comes as DeSantis caps off an aggressive legislative session that saw him push a hard-line conservative agenda and dive head-first into numerous culture wars, while facing increasing attacks from his likely opponent, former President Donald Trump. 

Sources familiar with the matter tell ABC News the decision to skip the exploratory committee comes as the governor is itching to start making his argument to voters by touting his accomplishments and to start pushing back against Trump's numerous attacks. 

:snip:

DeSantis's biggest accomplishments of the 2023 legislative session

Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) claimed he had a "strong mandate" to deliver on his agenda following a landslide victory in last year's gubernatorial election, which also gave him supermajorities in the state legislature.

At his direction, the Florida legislature provided him with many of his agenda items ahead of an expected presidential campaign announcement. As the state's legislative session comes to a close, here is a look at five of the agenda items DeSantis was able to get passed in the Statehouse.

Death penalty

DeSantis, outraged by the shooter in the Parkland school shooting avoiding the death penalty, called for legislators to amend the state's capital punishment laws from requiring a unanimous jury to put a convicted criminal to death.

"Fine, have a supermajority. But you can’t just say one person. So maybe eight out of 12 have to agree? Or something. But we can’t be in a situation where one person can just derail this,” DeSantis said at the Florida Sheriffs Association Winter Conference in January.

Shortly after DeSantis's plea, two state lawmakers filed identical bills which would change the number of jurors to recommend the death penalty from a unanimous 12 of 12 to a supermajority of eight of 12. The bill passed in both chambers and was signed into law by DeSantis last month.:snip:

1 hour ago, Geee said:

It's very early, but Trump’s lead could make for an equally persuasive argument for DeSantis to wait. You know what happens when you run against Trump and lose. He’s a young man who can run after Trump’s 2024 bid. The downside is that the nation will be destroyed if Biden wins again. 

The problem is in political terms 2028 might as well be The 22nd century.  IF Ron DeSantis is going to run  Now  is the time. Let me also say The Trump campaigns attacks on DeSantis have been....well....hamfisted. (IMO)

1 hour ago, Geee said:

DeSantis's biggest accomplishments of the 2023 legislative session

Death penalty

"Fine, have a supermajority. But you can’t just say one person. So maybe eight out of 12 have to agree? Or something. But we can’t be in a situation where one person can just derail this,” DeSantis said at the Florida Sheriffs Association Winter Conference in January.

1. Actually given death is the ultimate penalty, 1 person disagreeing is a good thing ("Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer." Blackstone)

2. I am a Big Fan of The Death Penalty. There are Some (a few) crimes that are so abhorrent that Death Penalty is the only answer.

Ron  Nails It

The Death Penalty IMO is Society's way of saying Some Crimes are so beyond the pale, so despicable, that if you are convicted of it, we will evoke your breathing privileges. 

40 minutes ago, Valin said:

1 person disagreeing is a good thing

I am for the death penalty, but I agree it should be unanimous. 

• Like 1

Just now, Geee said:

I am for the death penalty, but I agree it should be unanimous. 

OTOH I hold that Appeals should be limited death penalty cases (2-3?) and it should be carried out within 3-5 years. No waiting 10--15 years until  no one (except the Family) remembers.

Death Row: Indiana State Prison (Crime Documentary) | Real Stories This two-part series sees veteran presenter Sir Trevor McDonald come face to face with some of the world’s most dangerous criminals as he gets exclusive access to one of America’s oldest and most notorious prisons. Housing 1900 inmates, 12 of whom are on death row, Trevor spends two weeks in the dark and forbidding world of Indiana State Maximum Security Prison. He hears from men who know what it is like to live under the shadow of the death penalty and even the date and time they will die.

• Like 1