Brisket & Rice Is Twice as Nice This Houston-area barbecue joint helmed by three family members serves brisket fried rice and nui xào bò from a gas station.

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

Brisket & Rice Is Twice as Nice

This Houston-area barbecue joint helmed by three family members serves brisket fried rice and nui xào bò from a gas station.

Daniel Vaughn

April 12, 20230

The brisket and rice dish.Brisket and rice, BBQ fried rice, house pickles, and Poor Man’s Macaroni, or nui xào bò.Photograph by Daniel Vaughn

“Live-fire cooking next to a gas station: who would have thought?” Brisket & Rice co-owner Hong Tran asked. “Only in Texas,” he added with a laugh. It’s in this unlikely location in northwest Houston that he; his wife, Michelle; and his brother Phong opened their barbecue joint just over a year ago.

The space inside the Phillips 66 had been a Church’s Chicken and a Chinese restaurant. Tran, who got a cup of coffee at the gas station every morning on the way to work, realized it was the perfect place to park his pair of five-hundred-gallon smokers mounted on a trailer. “It was sitting in front of my face the whole time,” he said. Even better, the location was just outside the city of Houston’s health department jurisdiction, making it easier to get a permit. Harris County only required an enclosed pit room in which to park them. “It’s ridiculous how lucky I got,” Tran said.:snip: 

(What is nui xào bò it’s  The main ingredients for nui xao bo are pasta, beef, onions, garlic and your choice of vegetables . pasta: you will need to use a short type of pasta. I use fusilli because its spiral shape)