Chief Justice Roberts for the Win

Valin

chief-justice-roberts-for-the-win.php
Power Line

Steven Hayward

Oct 31 2022

I listened to all five hours of the Supreme Court oral argument today while on a long car drive home, and am hoping to post a special podcast tomorrow going over the whole scene, but for me, one single moment especially stands out. Seth Waxman, the primary attorney defending Harvard (a former solicitor general under President Clinton), was going head-to-head with Chief Justice John Roberts about whether race is a “minor” factor in admissions, or a decisive factor, as the defenders of race-conscious admissions were trying to have it both ways all day. Let’s just pick up the dialogue in the middle:

(Snip)

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: Okay. So we’re talking about race as a determining factor in admission to Harvard.

MR. WAXMAN: Race in some –for some highly qualified applicants can be the determinative factor, just as being the –you know, an oboe player in a year in which the Harvard-Radcliffe orchestra needs an oboe player will be the tip.

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS: Yeah. We did not fight a Civil War about oboe players.

I nearly drove off the road in delight at this reply. If the case turns out the right way, I think this will be one of the key moments where Harvard lost the case.

It appears that Harvard & University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, have spent god knows how much money defending race based admissions because to many Asians are doing too Good, and so they must keep them out.

Am I the only one who thinks shades of the KKK?

• Like 1

Justice Kagan Suggests Gender-Neutral Admissions Could Give A Leg Up To ‘White Men’ Over People Who Have Been ‘Kicked In The Teeth’

Supreme Court Justice Elena Kagan suggested that gender-neutral admission processes could give “white men” an advantage over people who have been “kicked in the teeth” during an oral argument Monday on a pair of lawsuits deciding whether affirmative action within Harvard University and the University of North Carolina (UNC) is constitutional.

During the oral argument for Students for Fair Admissions v. President and Fellows of Harvard, Kagan suggested to Patrick Strawbridge, who is representing Students for Fair Admissions, that higher education institutions that use gender-neutral policies lead to unequal outcomes for men at universities. Kagan noted that “white men” could get a “thumb on the scale” in university admissions if educational institutions sought to address the disparity. 

“That would be peculiar wouldn’t it?” Kagan said to Strawbridge. “White men get the thumb on the scale, but people who have been kicked in the teeth by our society for centuries do not?”:snip:

2 points

1. "Five years from now no one is going to care what college you went to."

Dennis Prager

2. Very often a black student will fail at an elite university, where they would succeed at a lesser prestigious university.

20 hours ago, Valin said:
chief-justice-roberts-for-the-win.php
Power Line

Steven Hayward

Oct 31 2022

I listened to all five hours of the Supreme Court oral argument today while on a long car drive home, and am hoping to post a special podcast tomorrow going over the whole scene, but for me, one single moment especially stands out. Seth Waxman, the primary attorney defending Harvard (a former solicitor general under President Clinton), was going head-to-head with Chief Justice John Roberts about whether race is a “minor” factor in admissions, or a decisive factor, as the defenders of race-conscious admissions were trying to have it both ways all day. Let’s just pick up the dialogue in the middle:

(Snip)

The Three Whisky Happy Hour: The Supreme Court the Day After

Hosted by Steve Hayward

With guests "Lucretia" & John Yoo

Alito appears to troll Elizabeth Warren with Native American 'family lore' remarks

:snip:Alito questioned North Carolina Solicitor General Ryan Park, who defended affirmative action policies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, about what is stopping some students from making false claims about their heritage.

It's family lore that we have an ancestor who was an American Indian," Alito said.

Park contended that it would not "be accurate" for a student applicant to make such claims if they were not true.

But Alito pressed forward, saying, "Well, I identify as an American Indian because I've always been told that some ancestor back in the old days was an American Indian."

Park said, "In that circumstance, it would be very unlikely that that person was telling the truth.":snip: