first full-color photo from NASA's James Webb Space Telescope

Valin

first-nasa-james-webb-space-telescope-photos-biden
Axios

Miriam Kramer

July 11 2022

1657578273079.jpg

Blah Blah Blah

Why it matters: This long-awaited milestone will set the stage for the rest of the $10 billion telescope's mission to rework our understanding of how the universe evolved from the earliest galaxies to today.

Driving the news: The photo shows a galaxy cluster so massive that it warps the light of other galaxies behind it, acting as a magnifying glass in space and allowing the JWST to see distant, faint galaxies much farther away, according to NASA.

• This slice of the vast universe covers a patch of sky approximately the size of a grain of sand held at arm’s length by someone on the ground," the space agency wrote in an image description.
  • On Tuesday, NASA is set to reveal the rest of the JWST’s first images at 10:30am ET. You can watch the announcement live on NASA TV starting at 9:45am ET.

Blah Blah Blah

What to watch: The images NASA is set to release Tuesday are expected to put even more of the JWST's wide range of scientific goals on display.

• The first batch will reveal the fine details of star formation, an exoplanet's atmosphere, a cluster of galaxies and a planetary nebula, according to NASA.

@drbecky_

It’s like the Hubble Ultra Deep Field turned up to 11! The sheer number of galaxies in this image is astounding (image size is same as a grain of sand at arms length!) - PLUS LENSES! No doubt the most distant galaxy ever found is in there I bet 100+ new papers just here

FXa0cBPXEAAFtba?format=jpg&name=900x900

5:26 PM · Jul 11, 2022·

13 hours ago, Valin said:

@drbecky_

It’s like the Hubble Ultra Deep Field turned up to 11! The sheer number of galaxies in this image is astounding (image size is same as a grain of sand at arms length!) - PLUS LENSES! No doubt the most distant galaxy ever found is in there I bet 100+ new papers just here

FXa0cBPXEAAFtba?format=jpg&name=900x900

5:26 PM · Jul 11, 2022·

I feel very small.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MISBAILEY said:

I feel very small.....

The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard.

When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,  what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them?

Now remember  All This Just Happened by random chance. If you think anything else, you won't get to sit with The Cool Kids.

"It was my science that drove me to the conclusion that the world is much more complicated than can be explained by science. It is only through the supernatural that I can understand the mystery of existence.

God to me is a mystery, but is the explanation for the miracle of existence, why there is something instead of nothing."

Allan Sandage

23 hours ago, Valin said:

The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard.

When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,  what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them?

Now remember  All This Just Happened by random chance. If you think anything else, you won't get to sit with The Cool Kids.

"It was my science that drove me to the conclusion that the world is much more complicated than can be explained by science. It is only through the supernatural that I can understand the mystery of existence.

God to me is a mystery, but is the explanation for the miracle of existence, why there is something instead of nothing."

Allan Sandage

To paraphrase an old observation, if you find a watch on the beach, isn't it reasonable to believe there is a watchmaker?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MISBAILEY said:

To paraphrase an old observation, if you find a watch on the beach, isn't it reasonable to believe there is a watchmaker?

Not  according to our betters.

This just happened....

...By Accident.

• Like 1

Jul 14, 2022 The first science images from JWST are absolutely spectacular, but what are we seeing in them and what can learn from them? I've been at the National Astronomy Meeting at the University of Warwick all week with 500 of my fellow astronomers, and we've been geeking out over the images together - plus getting our hands on some of the first raw data to come off the telescope to see what we can find.

(Snip)

00:00 - Introduction

00:28 - Carina Nebula

03:38 - Stephan's Quintet

06:49 - Southern Ring Nebula

08:45 - SMACS 0723

12:28 - WASP-96 b

15:36 - New JWST merch to celebrate

16:14 - Bloopers

Webb Images of Jupiter and More Now Available In Commissioning Data

Alise Fisher

July 14, 2022

On the heels of Tuesday’s release of the first images from NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, data from the telescope’s commissioning period is now being released on the Space Telescope Science Institute’s Mikulski Archive for Space Telescopes. The data includes images of Jupiter and images and spectra of several asteroids, captured to test the telescope’s instruments before science operations officially began July 12. The data demonstrates Webb’s to track solar system targets and produce images and spectra with unprecedented detail.

jupiter_hi_res_atmo-1-1200x1209.png

upiter, center, and its moon Europa, left, are seen through the James Webb Space Telescope’s NIRCam instrument 2.12 micron filter. Credits: NASA, ESA, CSA, and B. Holler and J. Stansberry (STScI)

(Snip)

________________________________________________________________________________

This May Be Satire...

Humans Feeling Strange Compulsion To Praise Whoever Created This

62cf1fa7c622962cf1fa7c622a.jpg

SPACE — This week, NASA unveiled photos of distant galaxy clusters now visible from the world's most powerful telescope. After seeing the images, millions have reported an uncontrollable urge to praise whoever may have created such a majestic, expansive universe.

"We're not religious or anything, but my wife and I both felt compelled to give glory to a higher power — as if there were a higher power than multiverses, monkeys, and primordial sludge!" Local man Dave Deaver scoffed while speaking to reporters, emphasizing his unshakable faith in the unguided evolution of a godless reality. He added that the images made it difficult to suppress his instinct to glorify some kind of creator, who he again clarified doesn't exist.

Even NASA scientists who submitted to interviews reported feeling overwhelmed at the incredible view. "We were blown away, so we've been singing worship songs to the universe, giving thanks in our hearts always to The Science, and singing to one another with psalms, hymns, and material songs." Dr. Lab Coats spoke about re-orienting the impulse to praise a creator. His research partner, Dr. Bundson Berner, elaborated that it was important to acknowledge such impulses, but to dismiss them as "an embarrassing evolutionary lag."

(Snip)

....or Not.

• 1 month later...

Aug 25, 2022 And no, that doesn't mean that "the Big Bang never happened"  This month we're debunking some viral claims about James Webb Space Telescope data, chatting about the Artemis 1 mission and whether Betelgeuse's weird dimming has finally been explained.

• 4 weeks later...