Left-wing group urges Apple, Google to act against Twitter if it becomes site for ‘hate and lies’

Valin

media-matters-urges-apple-google-boot-twitter-if-i
Washigton Times

Kerry Picket

Monday, April 25, 2022

One of the most influential left-wing organizations urged Twitter’s top advertisers like Apple and Google to dump the app if Twitter’s new owner lets it become a “free-for-all of hate, extremism and disinformation.”

Angelo Carusone, president of Media Matters for America, said in a statement Monday that Elon Musk, a self-described free speech absolutist, “will unwind a whole range of very basic protections against harassment, abuse, and disinformation that Twitter has spent years putting into practice.”

(Snip)

The Media Matters president also suggested that Google, Apple and other technology giants take down the Twitter application the same way they cut off Parler, a social media platform alternative to which supporters of Mr. Trump fled when Facebook and Twitter increasingly cracked down on posts that were cited as “misinformation.”

“But all hope is not lost. Accountability now rests with Twitter’s top advertisers, who need to make it clear that if Twitter becomes a free-for-all of hate, extremism and disinformation — they will walk,” he said.

(Snip)

This is what set me, and others off on this

I am told this morning that Apple and Google will remove Twitter from the App Store
if it does not moderate and remove hate speech under @ElonMusk. This isn’t a new policy, but a commitment already made. Amazon Web Services has the same commitment.

So there’s that.

1. I read it on the internet so it must be true.

2. It would not surprise me if they really did. See Parler, Alex Jones, Donald Trump, I could go on and on.

(Watch This Space)