Revisiting Watergate: Inside the first deep state hoax

Geee

revisiting-watergate-inside-first-deep-state-hoax
Washington Times

Primary source documents shatter the whole myth of Mr. Nixon's downfall

If Donald Trump hoped to understand what he would face upon moving into the White House in 2017, he would have done well to study what happened to Richard Nixon nearly fifty years prior. 

Richard Nixon was a staunch anti-communist who came into office opposed by every D.C.-based institution: Not only both Houses of Congress, but by their congressional staffs, the federal bureaucracy, and all of the Washington law firms, think tanks, and lobby firms.  The liberal media also opposed him.  

They were out to get Nixon from the start — even more so after his landslide re-election in 1972.  That’s where Watergate came in.  The Deep State fooled millions of people into believing Richard Nixon’s guilt, which even many Republicans believe to this day.  For a long time, I was one of them.  

During the Nixon Administration, I worked on the President’s defense team as we weathered the storms of criticism stemming from the 1972 Watergate break-in. I lost friends and spent a couple of years trying to refute sensational media claims. We fought unscrupulous prosecutors, reporters and congressional staff. We worked tirelessly to clear the good name of Richard Nixon, a man I’d known and admired since college and whom I was honored to come to Washington to serve.

In 1974, with the release of the so-called “smoking gun” tape, all my work to defend Mr. Nixon came to naught. I had been duped. The tape contained, I was led to believe, irrefutable proof of the President’s guilt. Woodward and Bernstein, those cocky Washington Post reporters, Leon Jaworski and his team of special prosecutors, all the people I’d fought against for so long — they’d all been vindicated.

I was dejected, run down. So much so that I started to think, maybe Nixon really was as bad as the press and liberals, and everyone else had said all along. The whole damned thing was so shameful.

For years I pondered what went wrong until I decided to do my own digging. Ultimately I spent 15 years combing through everything we had been told and uncovering troves of new documents. And, to my surprise, I discovered that so much of what we have been told about the 37th president and the Watergate scandal was wrong. Very, very wrong.

The whole thing was a set-up concocted by a hostile media, partisan Democrats and a deep-state network of operatives across the government to force a popular president from office. Much of the evidence was sitting there right in front of us all along, much of it in the National Archives. But it wasn’t necessarily easy to find. Many of the new documents I uncovered had been purposefully spirited away and improperly hidden by Watergate prosecutors.

These documents tell the story of one hell of a conspiracy — but it was a conspiracy organized not by Richard Nixon but against Richard Nixon:snip: