Coffee Shop

Rheo

I was having a conversation with MrC about the comparative of The Crusades and The War on Terror. I decided to Google just that. I found this interesting review/analysis of two books. Good stuff so I thought I'd share it even though it is many years old.

Crusader Zeal: Holy Wars, Then and Now

by Timothy M. Renick

Timothy M. Renick is associate professor and director of religious studies at Georgia State University in Atlanta. This article appeared in The Christian Century, January 25, 2005, pp. 26-29. Copyright by the Christian Century Foundation; used by permission. Current articles and subscriptions information can be found at www.christiancentury.org. This material was prepared for Religion Online by Ted and Winnie Brock.

The First Crusade: A New History. By Thomas Asbridge. Oxford University Press, 416 pp.

The Fourth Crusade and the Sack of Constantinople. By Jonathan Phillips. Viking. 400 pp.

Scissors-32x32.png

“But history at its best -- and these books clearly represent good history -- not only entertains, it informs. As we grapple with a new war fought against a Muslim threat and new efforts, to control and transform a conquered people, history can provide insights not only into where we have been, but into where we may be going. Our leaders tell us that the Crusades were a Christian holy war against Islam, whereas the war in Iraq is a just war against terror. But these books vividly demonstrate that the gap between then and now may be smaller than some would like us to believe. They suggest that the holy wars of the past were as much a product of politics and secular desires as any war today and that the war in Iraq may be neither holy nor just, but merely business as usual.”

• Like 3

righteousmomma

Thanks, Mr and Mrs chickadee, I shall check the books out.

Sr. Woodchuck, good read and commenter George there is blind, deaf, deceived with a genetically impaired perspective that he cannot change.

So with some liberties :

I allowed my loyalties and beliefs to be assumed from external appearances and origins – I allowed them to believe I must be extreme left right because I’m female, of Latin white origin, and have somewhat more less than a Master’s degree in Modern Languages and Literature. art education (I would (not) go back for the doctorate, I would, but and I’m not willing to stay quiet anymore.) Those years of festering silence weigh within me, and in the scales of eternal justice I’m afraid I’ll get counted with the enemies of Liberty, because I was quiet, I consented.

I am no longer quiet.

• Like 2

Current rating: 4 (7 ratings)
Sermon 658 : I Have Come to Cast a Fire Upon the Earth : 20th Sunday in Ordinary Time
8/18/2013
Please click the play button above to listen now.
Jesus' words from our Gospel this week inspired the name for my program, Word on Fire. Jesus speaks of the divine judgment that will fall like a cleansing fire on the earth. This is not opposed to God's love, but is rather what God's love looks like to a fallen world.

Download MP3 File (Right-Click, Save Link As…) | readings | podcast

pollyannaish

Phoebe Cates is celebrating her 50th birthday and she is in this little video with her husband, Kevin Kline. :D

Calling @pollyannaish!

Mr. P and I loved that! We are a little freaked that Phoebe is 50 though. When I was a kid she was my favorite seventeen model. I wanted to be like her. Funny, I became me and that turned out fine. And we all got old!

• Like 2

Interesting video of Walter Cronkite supporting 'One World Government' & saying, "join me at the right hand of satan...."

Walid Shoebat via iOTW

Sen. Rand Paul’s summer break includes performing free eye surgery http://redalertpolitics.com/2013/08/16/sen-rand-pauls-summer-break-includes-performing-free-eye-surgery/

Squeezed on his summer schedule between meeting with the Paducah Rotary Club and making an appearance at the Kentucky Farm Bureau Country Ham Breakfast, Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., will be performing eye surgery on his constituents for free.

Paul, an eye surgeon by trade, will perform pro bono surgeries on three patients in Paducah, Ky., next Wednesday, something that he’s done a couple of dozen times since entering the senate. “He’s really done them all over Kentucky,” explained Dan Bayens, a spokesman for the senator. It’s cataract surgery that the Kentucky Republican tends to perform. And he uses local doctors and ophthalmologists that he has relationships with to link up with patients who are uninsured or underinsured.

Scissors-32x32.png

Sen. Rand Paul’s summer break includes performing free eye surgery http://redalertpolitics.com/2013/08/16/sen-rand-pauls-summer-break-includes-performing-free-eye-surgery/

Squeezed on his summer schedule between meeting with the Paducah Rotary Club and making an appearance at the Kentucky Farm Bureau Country Ham Breakfast, Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., will be performing eye surgery on his constituents for free.

Paul, an eye surgeon by trade, will perform pro bono surgeries on three patients in Paducah, Ky., next Wednesday, something that he’s done a couple of dozen times since entering the senate. “He’s really done them all over Kentucky,” explained Dan Bayens, a spokesman for the senator. It’s cataract surgery that the Kentucky Republican tends to perform. And he uses local doctors and ophthalmologists that he has relationships with to link up with patients who are uninsured or underinsured.

Scissors-32x32.png

This is really great of him, but so stupid. There is a very small risk factor in eye surgery and if it happens on one of his.... Political career over.

• Like 1

More Milllion Man Math

An Islamic group's plan for a 'Million Muslim March' on the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on the United States has sparked outrage among many who call the timing 'insensitive.'

The American Muslim Political Action Committee says it wants to use the 12th anniversary of the terrorist attacks on New York and Washington to march on the National Mall and protest against what the group says is discrimination against Muslims by Americans and the U.S. government.

However, the group's plan might be a little too ambitious. AMPAC, based in Kansas City, Missouri, has just 57 supporters signed up for the September 11 event on Facebook.

(Snip)

Scissors-32x32.png

This is really great of him, but so stupid. There is a very small risk factor in eye surgery and if it happens on one of his.... Political career over.

@clearvision! It would surprise me if Rand did not have them execute an affidavit of responsibility for liability.

If you're blind & indigent & the operation is free [which I think also helps....as he makes nothing for his pro-bono work] would you not sign something absolving him of liability?

Scissors-32x32.png

@clearvision! It would surprise me if Rand did not have them execute an affidavit of responsibility for liability.

If you're blind & indigent & the operation is free [which I think also helps....as he makes nothing for his pro-bono work] would you not sign something absolving him of liability?

Don't know about that, get the right money grubbing attorney and he'll scream that you took advantage of this poor soul and now you've ruined his eye sight.

Scissors-32x32.png

Don't know about that, get the right money grubbing attorney and he'll scream that you took advantage of this poor soul and now you've ruined his eye sight.

True, but in an action like that [civil] I would think that if the patient had a reasonable expectation that the op could be unsuccessful, along with the prior notice of same....plus the fact that the surgeon received no compensation for the operation [used to determine damages].....that he would have immunity. Also....some states give protection under "Good Samaritan" laws......usually for accident related unintentional injuries, but maybe extendable to pro-bono work.

Scissors-32x32.png

True, but in an action like that [civil] I would think that if the patient had a reasonable expectation that the op could be unsuccessful, along with the prior notice of same....plus the fact that the surgeon received no compensation for the operation [used to determine damages].....that he would have immunity. Also....some states give protection under "Good Samaritan" laws......usually for accident related unintentional injuries, but maybe extendable to pro-bono work.

The object of the lawsuit wouldn't be to win but to ruin Paul

Sweet @cudjo!

Yes, I understand that, but if he hasn't indemnified himself with the correct legal documentation....he doesn't deserve to be kept from ruin. Also, what a font of good press would he have......a pro-bono chance for an indigent to get his eye-sight & then being sued as a political ploy. I'd think he'd have a field day making them eat that lawsuit.

Another aspect....he has to perform the operations to keep his licensing....and is prohibited from operating a side business under Senate rules, so what are his options? Do surgery under the aegis of an HMO or University teaching hospital....and having the same outcome, but having the shield of that entity's insurance?

Edited to add: Not to mention........when he is charged with that lawsuit.....his attorneys have the right of discovery into the claimants life & motives for the suit. It would be watching cockroaches scurrying for darkness....

Edited by SrWoodchuck
  • Like 1

Sweet @cudjo!

Yes, I understand that, but if he hasn't indemnified himself with the correct legal documentation....he doesn't deserve to be kept from ruin. Also, what a font of good press would he have......a pro-bono chance for an indigent to get his eye-sight & then being sued as a political ploy. I'd think he'd have a field day making them eat that lawsuit.

Another aspect....he has to perform the operations to keep his licensing....and is prohibited from operating a side business under Senate rules, so what are his options? Do surgery under the aegis of an HMO or University teaching hospital....and having the same outcome, but having the shield of that entity's insurance?

Edited to add: Not to mention........when he is charged with that lawsuit.....his attorneys have the right of discovery into the claimants life & motives for the suit. It would be watching cockroaches scurrying for darkness....

I'm thinking along the line that I think most people in this country don't bother to think or read past the headline, they listen to their favorite newscaster and go with that, they don't bother to follow up and check it out, even on Fox I can just hear Shep with his suspicious voice talking about it. The only good thing is I think he would put up a heck of a fight.

San Diego Poll: Only 14% Want Filthy Filner To Stay In Office, 81% Think He Should Go…

http://weaselzippers.us/2013/08/19/san-diego-poll-only-14-want-filthy-filner-to-stay-in-office-81-think-he-should-go/

Scissors-32x32.png

Of the 600 San Diego respondents, Filner’s support is down to one in seven city residents, with 81 percent saying he should resign and just 14 percent saying he should stay.Scissors-32x32.png

81% + 14% = 95%.....

......my question: Are the missing 5% Democrats bags of skin that exist solely to change oxygen into carbon dioxide?