House passes abortion bill after earlier stumble

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
?intcmp=latestnewsFox News:

As thousands of abortion foes surged through the city on their annual protest march to the Supreme Court, Republicans muscled legislation through the House on Thursday tightening federal restrictions on abortions. The vote came after internal divisions forced them into an embarrassing fumble of a similar bill.

Even as a White House veto threat all but ensured the bill would never become law, the House voted by a near party-line 242-179 to permanently bar federal funds for any abortion coverage. The measure would also block tax credits for many people and businesses buying abortion coverage under President Barack Obama's health care law.

GOP leaders pushed the measure to the House floor hours after abruptly abandoning another bill banning most late-term abortions because a rebellion led by female Republican lawmakers left them short of votes.

While that stumble underscored the challenges GOP leaders face in controlling their newly enlarged House majority, they were eager to act the same day that March for Life protesters streamed through town to protest the Supreme Court's 1973 Roe v. Wade decision legalizing abortion.

"I urge my colleagues to stand with the hundreds of thousands of people out on the Mall right now by voting for this bill," said House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif. "Stand up and commit to creating an America that values every life."

Democrats accused the GOP of an assault on women's freedom and painted Republicans as trying to placate the marchers not far from the Capitol.

"They certainly wanted to appeal, I would say pander, to that group," said Rep. Janice Schakowsky, D-Ill.

"Women's rights should not be theater, should not be drama," said Rep. Steve Cohen, D-Tenn.

The approved bill would permanently ban the use of federal money for nearly all abortions -- a prohibition that's already in effect but which Congress must renew each year.

________

Moving forward.

"They certainly wanted to appeal, I would say pander, to that group," said Rep. Janice Schakowsky, D-Ill.

Well when it comes to pandering Janice is a skilled professional.

• Like 1

Cyber_Liberty

Sorry. Got a new machine, it's a Windows 8.1. It's not pleasent coming off a MacBook. It will take me a while just to get functional. Wheeeee!

Sorry. Got a new machine, it's a Windows 8.1. It's not pleasent coming off a MacBook. It will take me a while just to get functional. Wheeeee!

Ah! The joys of a new system. I'm soooooo jealous. rolleyes.gif

Video: Rep. Marsha Blackburn at the Iowa Freedom Summit
Ed Morrissey

January 24, 2015

Earlier today, I caught up with Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) at the Iowa Freedom Summit, and had an opportunity to ask her a few questions. One big topic was the failure of the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act, for which Blackburn was the primary co-sponsor. When asked what happened to the bill, Blackburn expressed some frustration with the way it got derailed, but insists it’s temporary. The language will be tweaked, Blackburn says, and a vote will be taken in the next few weeks — which she promises will keep the bill focused on the baby, and force Democrats to defend broadly unpopular late-term abortions.