Navy SEALs: Can women cut it?

Valin

navy-seals-women-physical-standards San Diego Union-Tribune:

Elite female athletes say 'definitely doable,' but is that enough?

Jeanette Steele

June 22, 2013

Between 50 and 90 push-ups in two minutes. Same for sit-ups. Ten pull-ups, but more like 18 to stay competitive. Run a mile and a half in 10 minutes. Swim 500 yards thats five football fields in 12 minutes, sidestroke.

Those are the physical requirements to merely knock on the front door at the Navy SEAL training compound in Coronado, where all SEALs are made.

Its definitely doable, said 21-year-old UC San Diego swimmer Sandy Hon. I would have to train, but this doesnt sound too difficult.

Certainly, for the special-operations jobs, it would have to be exceptional women. They are dealing with less ability to build muscle mass, smaller frames and less natural upper-body strength.

But several elite female athletes around San Diego say those standards are within their reach.

Personally, I think I could eek out the minimum for pull-ups and push-ups right now though with a little more specific training, who knows, said Katya Meyers, 32, a professional triathlete in San Diego who competes on the Iron Man circuit.

(Snip)

Fine....do that everyday (often several times a day) for 6 months.

http://youtu.be/wQFRePXMI9M

Rest Here

• 4 years later...
Draggingtree

Candidate to be first female Navy SEAL officer quits after a week

Via Billy

https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/AAEAAQAAAAAAAAg5AAAAJDU1Y2ZhNTJkLWMzMDEtNDI0MC1hNjQ1LWZjNGQ3ZDY2ZDVmYQ.png

If, by some miracle I got off the bus for SEAL training, my immediate question would be, where is the bell? ! :)

A women aiming to become the first female Navy SEAL officer quit about a week into the initial training, Task and Purpose reported Thursday.

The unidentified female candidate dropped out in early August during a three-week course in San Diego that began July 24. It was the first assessment of potential SEAL officers before they can be sent on to more grueling courses, according to the website, which cited "multiple Naval Special Warfare Command sources.