Patterico, Brett Kimberlin, and the Super-Chilling of Free Speech

Valin

patterico-brett-kimberlin-and-the-superReason: Nick Gillespie

May 25, 2012

Over the years, various Reason writers have had their differences with Patrick Frey, the fellow behind the widely read and interesting Patterico's Pontifications blog. The story he's telling today is a call to arms to defend free speech from the worst sort of politically and personally motivated infringements.

Frey begins a long and harrowing post thus:

It’s a phone call that could have gotten me killed.

In this post you will hear that audio clip. You will also read about a months-long campaign of harassment carried out by at least three individuals: Ron Brynaert, Neal Rauhauser, and Brett Kimberlin — much of it directed at critics of Brett Kimberlin. This harassment includes repeated references to critics’ family members, workplace complaints, publication of personal information such as home addresses and pictures of residences, bogus allegations of criminal activity, whisper campaigns, frivolous legal actions, and frivolous State Bar complaints.

And finally, you will hear a comparison of one of those men’s voices to that of the man who made the call that sent police to my home. And you’ll read a declaration from a forensic audio expert comparing those two voices.

Read the whole thing.

Megyn Kelly exposes ‘swatting’ against conservative bloggers and commentators

Michelle Malkin Link Fest

Stacy McCain has had his wife threatened. They are now in hiding.

The Other McCain: The Kimberlin Files

• Like 1

Next Victim Please

William A. Jacobson

6/5/12

Now they’re going after Ali Akbar, who is one of the leaders of the National Bloggers Club helping to defend Aaron Walker and others.

As reported by Stacy McCain:

Monday afternoon I was off the grid when Ali Akbar called to tell me that “Breitbart Unmasked” had published a photo and the address of his mother’s home in Texas in a viciously mendacious attack on the National Bloggers Club.

(Snip)

The Left's Assault on Free Speech and Conscience

Robert Knight

6/5/12

(Snip)

Mr. Kimberlin was convicted in a series of 1978 bombings in Speedway, Indiana, the last of which critically injured a Vietnam veteran who later committed suicide. An accomplished jailhouse lawyer, Kimberlin was released on parole in 1993, re-jailed and finally released in 2001. He went on to found the Velvet Revolution website and the Justice Through Music Project, which receives money from heavy leftist hitters like the George Soros-controlled Tides Foundation.

In October 2010, Los Angeles Assistant District Attorney Patrick Frey, who blogs as Patterico, began writing about “the Speedway Bomber’s” leftwing activities. On July 1, 2011, Mr. Frey was awakened at 12:35 a.m. by a SWAT team at his Los Angeles home.

“The call that sent deputies to my home was a hoax,” Mr. Frey writes. “Someone had pretended to be me. They called the police to say I had shot my wife. The sheriff’s deputies who arrived at my front door believed they were about to confront an armed man who had just shot his wife.” Mr. Frey was handcuffed and his frightened wife and children led outside by police.

(Snip)

H/T The Instapundit

Should nonprofits linked to ‘Anonymous’ and harassment stay tax-exempt?

Matthew Vadum

June 14, 2012

Are the two nonprofits founded by radical activist and convicted bomber Brett Kimberlin entitled to tax-exempt status? It’s a question worth examining.

Kimberlin is a paid employee of one of the nonprofits, Justice Through Music Project, a 501c3 “educational” nonprofit. JTMP paid Kimberlin $19,500 in 2010 for his services as a director, according to the group’s most recent publicly available tax return. Both JTMP and the other group, Velvet Revolution US, a 501c4 “action” nonprofit, are headquartered in Kimberlin’s Bethesda, Maryland, residence. (JTMP expressly acknowledges in the tax return that the address given is Kimberlin’s.)

Kimberlin spends much of his time attempting to silence conservative bloggers through frivolous and vexatious litigation and by employing other nasty, unorthodox tactics. Incredibly, Kimberlin got blogger Aaron Walker (nom de blog: Aaron Worthing) jailed for daring to write (factually accurate) articles about him. Kimberlin doesn’t like it when anyone points out his criminal history.

(Snip)

BTW In case you are wondering who is the mastermind of this PLOT against Brett Kimberlin..its none other than the Mr. Big of the vast Right Wing Noise Machine James O’Keefe.