Primary & Senate Races 2012

Rheo

If you have been following the WSI stories on the Ulstermann report, this is as he said was going to happen. (Daley was another one I had considered to be the insider.)

Wall Street switches horses, backs Romney

America’s biggest banks and investment firms generously supported President Barack Obama’s 2008 campaign, but the same donors are putting their money on Mitt Romney in 2012.

Romney’s top five campaign donors are individuals and political action committees connected to the financial services sector, while Obama’s top five come from individuals and PACs linked to technology giants Google and Microsoft, and international law firms DLA Piper and Sidley Austin, according to the Boston Globe. None are connected to financial institutions.

In 2008, four of the five top Obama campaign donor groups were connected to financial institutions. Goldman Sachs held the top slot; JPMorgan Chase was third.

“There’s no doubt that there’s been a big diminution of support for the president,” Obama’s former chief of staff and former JP Morgan executive, William M. Daley, told the Boston Globe.

Scissors-32x32.png

Democrats Vulnerable Senate Seats 2012

Missouri

Freshmen Sen. Claire McCaskill's re-election chances took a hit after she admitted to failing to pay taxes on a private plane, which undercut her image as a moderate opponent of corruption in the Senate.

Montana

One of the many new Democratic faces who swept into the Senate in moderate and conservative states during the blue wave of 2006, Democratic Sen. Jon Tester will face re-election in a very different environment. He'll likely face Republican Rep. Denny Rehberg, Montana's only at-large congressman, who's held his seat since 2000.

Nebraska

Retiring

Democratic Sen. Ben Nelson, who was first elected to the Senate in 2000, faces a tough re-election battle in Nebraska. Although Nelson has a reputation as one of the Senate's moderate deal-makers, his vote for the health care reform law—remember the "Cornhusker Kickback?"—may hurt him in this red state.

Deb Fischer, who emerged from obscurity earlier this week to win the Republican nomination for Nebraska Senate, already holds a large lead over her Democratic opponent, according to a new poll.

The Rasmussen poll, which surveyed likely Nebraska voters in the day following Fischer’s nomination, found that 56 percent said they would vote for Fischer, compared to 38 percent who said they planned to vote for Democrat Bob Kerrey.

New Mexico

Democratic Sen. Jeff Bingaman's decision not to run for a sixth term in this southwestern swing state has given the GOP one of its prime opportunities to win another seat. Former five-term representative Heather Wilson has announced a bid for the seat, with the backing of former senator Pete Domenici, but she may face a challenge from Republican Rep. Steve Pearce, who unseated her in 2008.

North Dakota

The retirement of Sen. Kent Conrad, the Senate Budget Committee chairman, will likely end an era. Most political analysts believe that Democrats have virtually no chance of keeping the seat that Democrats have held for decades. Just a year ago, both seats in this deep red state were held by Democrats, but short of a disaster for the GOP, Republicans will hold both seats in 2013.

Ohio

Unlike fellow endangered freshmen such as McCaskill or Tester, Democratic Sen. Sherrod Brown isn't a moderate, but a firebrand liberal in a midwestern swing state that has recently lurched to the right. On paper, he looks like a prime target, but his brand of populist liberalism has played well in this Rust Belt state, and some political observers believe Brown has the edge going into 2012. Still, Republicans look at it as a prime opportunity to pick up a seat.

Virginia

Sen. Jim Webb's decision to retire from the Senate after one term paved the way for former Sen. George Allen to try to reclaim the seat, which he lost to Webb by a hair in 2006. Allen will likely face another Virginia heavyweight, former governor Tim Kaine, in one of the most competitive races in the country.

West Virginia

In 2010, then-Gov. Joe Manchin won the seat previously held by state legend Robert Byrd by running to President Obama's right, and blasting his initiatives such as a cap-and-trade bill. After winning the special election following Byrd's death, he'll have to run again for a full term in 2012, and the state GOP will have more time to prepare and make their case against him.

Wisconsin

Kohl's retirement turns the Wisconsin Senate race into perhaps one of the most interesting in the country. Speculation has swirled that House Budget Chairman Paul Ryan may throw his hat into the ring for the Republican side. Liberals are also hoping that recently defeated Sen. Russ Feingold may try another run.

Newark Mayor Cory Booker: Obama attacks on private equity ‘nauseating,’ ‘crap’

On Sunday’s broadcast of NBC’s “Meet the Press,” Newark, N.J. Democratic Mayor Cory Booker (D) pushed back at efforts by President Barack Obama’s campaign to malign former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney for the time he spent at Bain Capital.

Booker first suggested that the Obama campaign needed to avoid letting others define what his presidency has accomplished. However, the attacks on Romney for his time as head of Bain Capital, he said, made him “uncomfortable.”

“[A]s far as that stuff, I have to say from a very personal level, I’m not about to sit here and indict private equity,” Booker said. “It’s just, to me, we’re getting to a ridiculous point in America. Especially, I know — I live in a state where pension funds, unions and other people are investing in companies like Bain Capital. If you look at the totality of the record of Bain Capital, they’ve done a lot to support businesses, to grow businesses. This, to me, I’m very uncomfortable with.”

Scissors-32x32.png

“The last point I’ll make is this kind of stuff is nauseating to me on both sides. It’s nauseating to the American public. Enough is enough. Stop attacking private equity. Stop attacking Jeremiah Wright. This stuff has got to stop because what it does is it undermines to me what this country should be focused on. It’s a distraction from the real issues. It’s going to be a small campaign about this crap, or a big campaign in my opinion about the issues the American public cares about.”

Newark Mayor Cory Booker: Obama attacks on private equity ‘nauseating,’ ‘crap’

On Sunday’s broadcast of NBC’s “Meet the Press,” Newark, N.J. Democratic Mayor Cory Booker (D) pushed back at efforts by President Barack Obama’s campaign to malign former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney for the time he spent at Bain Capital.

Booker first suggested that the Obama campaign needed to avoid letting others define what his presidency has accomplished. However, the attacks on Romney for his time as head of Bain Capital, he said, made him “uncomfortable.”

“[A]s far as that stuff, I have to say from a very personal level, I’m not about to sit here and indict private equity,” Booker said. “It’s just, to me, we’re getting to a ridiculous point in America. Especially, I know — I live in a state where pension funds, unions and other people are investing in companies like Bain Capital. If you look at the totality of the record of Bain Capital, they’ve done a lot to support businesses, to grow businesses. This, to me, I’m very uncomfortable with.”

Scissors-32x32.png

“The last point I’ll make is this kind of stuff is nauseating to me on both sides. It’s nauseating to the American public. Enough is enough. Stop attacking private equity. Stop attacking Jeremiah Wright. This stuff has got to stop because what it does is it undermines to me what this country should be focused on. It’s a distraction from the real issues. It’s going to be a small campaign about this crap, or a big campaign in my opinion about the issues the American public cares about.”

So the question is, is Cory Booker, a racist, a shameless shill for the evil 1%ers, or insane and should be removed from office?

pollyannaish

I am happy to see Democrats who love this country stepping forward and putting a stop to this garbage. Right now, anyone on the side of loving America and getting it off this dangerous tangent and back on track is on the same side I am.

Thank you Mayor Booker.

wallbash.gif

Will he ever go away

Ron Paul wins Minnesota delegates

While I completely agree. They showed up organized, and played by the rules.

Here in Minnesota we have the worst of all worlds...an open caucus system. I prefer a closed system, if you are not a card carrying party member it's none of your business who the party nominates. I my caucus meeting 12 people showed up 3 of us were Republicans, the guy running the meeting one woman who supported Romney, and some skinny old guy. The other 9 were Paul supporters.

wallbash.gif

Will he ever go away

Ron Paul wins Minnesota delegates

While I completely agree. They showed up organized, and played by the rules.

Here in Minnesota we have the worst of all worlds...an open caucus system. I prefer a closed system, if you are not a card carrying party member it's none of your business who the party nominates. I my caucus meeting 12 people showed up 3 of us were Republicans, the guy running the meeting one woman who supported Romney, and some skinny old guy. The other 9 were Paul supporters.

And who was the skinny old guy? biggrin.png

pollyannaish

Sarah Palin just endorsed Orrin Hatch in the Utah Primary on Greta's show. Does that mean she is a RINO now?

42 percent of Kentucky Democrats reject Obama

'Uncommitted' vote second to president's 58%

James R. Carroll

Mitt Romney captured all of Kentucky’s 45 Republican delegates in Tuesday’s essentially uncontested presidential primary, bringing him tantalizingly close to wrapping up his quest to be his party’s nominee.

But Kentucky Democrats turned their uncontested presidential primary into an embarrassment for President Barack Obama, countering his 58 percent of the vote with a surprisingly large 42 percent support for “uncommitted.”

(Snip)

Despite the high “uncommitted vote,” Obama took Kentucky’s 66 Democratic delegates. He secured his re-nomination on April 3, passing the 2,778 needed. The Democratic National Convention is in Charlotte, N.C., in early September.

But it marked another setback in the Appalachian region for the president, who got less than 60 percent of the vote in West Virginia’s primary against a Texas state prisoner.

(Snip)

Draggingtree

Obama struggles in Kentucky, Arkansas

By GINGER GIBSON | 5/22/12 11:33 PM EDT

President

Barack Obama continued to have trouble on Tuesday performing in Democratic primaries in traditionally conservative states, barely eking out wins in Kentucky and Arkansas.

The president didn’t even have an opponent in

Kentucky, but with 99 percent of the vote counted, Obama took just 57.9 percent of the vote, with the remaining more than 42 percent of ballots cast for “uncommitted.”

In

Arkansas, with 70 percent of the vote tallied, Obama nabbed just 59 percent of the vote. His opponent there, John Wolfe, was able to take 41 percent of the vote at that point, according to The Associated Press.

Wolfe, an attorney from Tennessee whose platform includes repealing “Obamacare,” was able to win several counties.

Mitt Romney fared better in the two primaries, but even the presumptive GOP nominee, who has had trouble exciting the conservative wing of his base, didn’t turn in a stellar performance.

Draggingtree

Texas Senate race features Perry vs. Palin backdrop

By Catalina Camia, USA TODAY

The Texas Senate GOP primary has now become a battle between Rick Perry and Sarah Palin.

Perry is featured in a new TV ad touting Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst in the May 29 primary, while Palin is supporting former state solicitor general Ted Cruz in a new robo-call encouraging early voting.

The theme from Perry and Palin, both Tea Party favorites: Their candidate is the best to shake up Washington.

Dewhurst, considered the front-runner, is leading Cruz in a new University of Texas/Texas Tribune
. The GOP primary is a crowded one and includes former Dallas mayor Tom Leppert and sportscaster Craig James.

"David is the one candidate best prepared to make conservative change happen in Washington. Don't let anyone tell you different," Perry says in his ad for Dewhurst.

Palin notes in her automated call that Cruz has been endorsed by the Tea Party Express. She said Cruz is a "conservative
Scissors-32x32.png
Read More

http://content.usato...alin-ted-cruz/1

Draggingtree

Obama’s Grade as President: D Plus

May 22, 2012

-By Warner Todd Huston

Matthew Continetti gives the President a D plus in his grade for his first term in office and with a grade that low, let’s hope it is his only term in office.

Continetti notes that Obama awarded himself a “a good, solid, B-plus” not long ago but when he visited the cacklers at ABC’s The View he decided that he shouldn’t assign himself a letter grade because his term is “incomplete.”

Actually, as Continetti points out, his first term is essentially finished, at least legislatively. Congress won’t be doing much more serious business until after the coming election, so his work is practically done. Since the work is basically done, Continetti feels a letter grade is quite apropos and he gives Obama a D plus.

“One arrives at such a low mark only after a thorough–and scientific–examination of the president’s record of broken promises and unfulfilled expectations,” Continetti writes.

Obama’s failures are chronicled in Continetti’s grading, from foreign policy, to jobs and the economy, to the healthcare debacle that few Americans want, but the more interesting point Matthew makes is in what he thinks Obama has done for conservatives. Scissors-32x32.png Read More http://wizbangblog.com/2012/05/22/obamas-grade-as-president-d-plus/

Draggingtree

I Told You They Would Blame Obama’s Awful Kentucky and Arkansas Results on Race

And here comes Politico to prove me right. Thanks!

[H]is rough ride through the Upper South is a reminder that in some ways Obama is still haunted by his 2008 remark about people who “cling to guns or religion.” While there are plenty of more important factors driving the Upland South hostility toward him – among them, race, culture and some specific administration policies – it’s hard not to notice his unpopularity in a region of the country where gun ownership and church worship rates are high.

You Christian wingnuts just can’t stand a black man. We have a troll here who trots that argument out in comments with mind-numbing routine. And they’re right of course, unless you count Allen West, who is a conservative hero. And Clarence Thomas. And Thomas Sowell, and once upon a time, Colin Powell and Alan Keyes etc and etc. Except for them, and J. C. Watts, the former Oklahoma congressman, southerners can’t stand a black man holding office.

Check out the comments on the Politico article, which mostly amount to Democrats convincing themselves that Obama’s weak showing in unchallenged primaries are not his or his policies’ fault Scissors-32x32.png

Read More http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2012/05/23/i-told-you-they-would-blame-obamas-awful-kentucky-and-arkansas-results-on-race/

I Told You They Would Blame Obama’s Awful Kentucky and Arkansas Results on Race

And here comes Politico to prove me right. Thanks!

[H]is rough ride through the Upper South is a reminder that in some ways Obama is still haunted by his 2008 remark about people who “cling to guns or religion.” While there are plenty of more important factors driving the Upland South hostility toward him – among them, race, culture and some specific administration policies – it’s hard not to notice his unpopularity in a region of the country where gun ownership and church worship rates are high.

You Christian wingnuts just can’t stand a black man. We have a troll here who trots that argument out in comments with mind-numbing routine. And they’re right of course, unless you count Allen West, who is a conservative hero. And Clarence Thomas. And Thomas Sowell, and once upon a time, Colin Powell and Alan Keyes etc and etc. Except for them, and J. C. Watts, the former Oklahoma congressman, southerners can’t stand a black man holding office.

Check out the comments on the Politico article, which mostly amount to Democrats convincing themselves that Obama’s weak showing in unchallenged primaries are not his or his policies’ fault Scissors-32x32.png

Read More http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2012/05/23/i-told-you-they-would-blame-obamas-awful-kentucky-and-arkansas-results-on-race/

It's 1927 so of course its about Race! What else could it be?