Coffee Shop

Rheo

For news you don't really care about...biggrin.png

Wedding bells will soon be ringing for Sen. Susan Collins.

The Maine Republican is engaged to Thomas Daffron, 73, the chief operating officer for the D.C.-based Jefferson Consulting Group.

Crazy how the headlines are saying one thing, yet the article doesn't really say that. rolleyes.gif

LiveStrong is now giving PP $100k. Seems like they can kill all the babies they want without taxpayer money with all the donations they are getting.

Not sure why Komen ever funded them to begin with. Did they not know that PP doesn't do mammograms, but only refers them out?

Edited to add: Komen definitely needs a better PR person.

Nancy Brinker of Komen issues statement reversing their decision to stop funding PP. On FOX now

*The Case For Romney

Jonah Goldberg

2/3/12

Moreover, Romney is not a man of vision. He is a man of duty and purpose. He was told to "fix" health care in ways Massachusetts would like. He was told to fix the 2002 Olympics. He was told to create Bain Capital. He did it all. The man does his assignments.

(Snip)

* Wow! I'm really enthused now. I am over come with the urge to charge out there and man the barricades. yawn.gif

Well, we just need to start instructing him to do stuff. Sounds pretty simple.

thinking.gif I get the feeling you are less than thrilled.

Crazy how the headlines are saying one thing, yet the article doesn't really say that. rolleyes.gif

LiveStrong is now giving PP $100k. Seems like they can kill all the babies they want without taxpayer money with all the donations they are getting.

Not sure why Komen ever funded them to begin with. Did they not know that PP doesn't do mammograms, but only refers them out?

Nancy Brinker of Komen issues statement reversing their decision to stop funding PP. On FOX now

Has she said more than her statement said? If not, it still isn't a reversal. They are still planning to fund through 2012 and anyone can submit a grant request, doesn't mean they will get it. Has this changed now?

Has she said more than her statement said? If not, it still isn't a reversal. They are still planning to fund through 2012 and anyone can submit a grant request, doesn't mean they will get it. Has this changed now?

She was quoted as apologizing for the funding decision & saying they are restoring funding & grants.

She was quoted as apologizing for the funding decision & saying they are restoring funding & grants.

PP will have to apply for the next grant in 2013, as 2012 is already going to be funded. PP won't necessarily get that 2013 grant. I think it is bad word parsing and horrible PR. We shall see what they do. If they buckle under to these leftists, not only will babies die but women are going to be at more risk. Makes me sick.

@Rheo

Bet they get the grant!

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. I hope Komen stays strong against the mafia/media. Right to choose is only good one way I guess. A foundation has the right to choose whom to give money. Hypocritical as usual is the left.

Komen Board Member: Haven’t Caved on Planned Parenthood Funding

Komen board member John Raffaelli talked with the Washington Post after the statement was released and said the new announcement doesn’t necessarily mean there is any reversal until and unless Planned Parenthood receives additional funding beyond what was already planned before Komen’s December decision.

“It would be highly unfair to ask us to commit to any organization that doesn’t go through a grant process that shows that the money we raise is used to carry out our mission,” Raffaelli said. “We’re a humanitarian organization. We have a mission. Tell me you can help carry out our mission and we will sit down at the table.”

Scissors-32x32.png

The Post also indicates the full Komen board held a Thursday night conference call, which Raffaelli said was held “to see if there was a way to take the politics out of this process.”

“We had to fix what [people on all sides] were charging was political,” he said. “I hope this addresses claims that we were acting politically. That was not our intention.”

Still, Planned Parenthood celebrated Friday’s news as a concession.

Senate Republicans to challenge recess appointments in court

Thirty-nine GOP senators have signed onto a letter announcing their intention to file a joint amicus brief in a court challenge against Obama's recess appointments to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and the National Labor Relations Board last month.

"We refuse to stand by as this President arrogantly casts aside our Constitution and defies the will of the American people under the election-year guise of defending them," Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) said in a statement.Scissors-32x32.png

gallery_3_42_8681.jpg

A Right to Work law secures the right of employees to decide for themselves whether or not to join or financially support a union. However, employees who work in the railway or airline industries are not protected by a Right to Work law, and employees who work on a federal enclave may not be.

*The Case For Romney

Jonah Goldberg

2/3/12

Moreover, Romney is not a man of vision. He is a man of duty and purpose. He was told to "fix" health care in ways Massachusetts would like. He was told to fix the 2002 Olympics. He was told to create Bain Capital. He did it all. The man does his assignments.

(Snip)

* Wow! I'm really enthused now. I am over come with the urge to charge out there and man the barricades. yawn.gif

Well, we just need to start instructing him to do stuff. Sounds pretty simple.

thinking.gif I get the feeling you are less than thrilled.

How could I not be thrilled with a Commander in Chief who has a real talant for doing what he's told. In a country aching for a leader, nothing sounds more energizing than being led by an administrator with a giant "Suggestions" box sitting on his desk.

Romney has until September to convince a lot of people he is a focused, driven, leader with personal vision. He's working from the same foundation as John Kerry. Let's hope he does a better job than Kerry of making his case.

gallery_3_42_8681.jpg

A Right to Work law secures the right of employees to decide for themselves whether or not to join or financially support a union. However, employees who work in the railway or airline industries are not protected by a Right to Work law, and employees who work on a federal enclave may not be.

That would be me. My union is about as effecient as the Post Office. I have to pay 2% of my pay to them. I can quit, but if I do, I have to pay 2% of my pay to them. That speaks volumes for how effective they are at actually accomplishing anything useful for their members. Fortunately, more and more members are starting to see how they are getting ripped off. Like the NYTs, the unions may be digging their own graves.

fredthompson Fred Thompson

Report: NY Times Company lost $40 million in 2011. Bet they could find it if it were in a folder marked "Top Secret."

gallery_3_42_8681.jpg

That would be me. My union is about as effecient as the Post Office. I have to pay 2% of my pay to them. I can quit, but if I do, I have to pay 2% of my pay to them. That speaks volumes for how effective they are at actually accomplishing anything useful for their members. Fortunately, more and more members are starting to see how they are getting ripped off. Like the NYTs, the unions may be digging their own graves.

Heh. My husband works for a state union. The ugly horrible one you see mentioned. He has no choice. He would donate his 2% to charity, but when he started, of the 10 people who worked in his office 5 of them were shop stewards. So he just keeps his head down.

He says that basically unions kill creativity, good customer service and efficiency. They create Junior high in every work place in the government. Don't get the him started. You'll be there for three hours listening to stories and examples. It's entertaining and hilarious...but laced with hostility.

I do wonder what the postman thinks sometimes though. Our mail box is full of union political advertising and GOP political advertising. It's really quite funny.

WestVirginiaRebel

Lawmaker wants ban on taxpayer-funded ad campaigns against sodas, junk food

The bill, written by Rep. Scott DesJarlais, R-Tenn., would prohibit federal money from going toward ad campaigns against foodstuffs and beverages that the feds consider safe and legal.

"I don't think it's the federal government's (role) to try and regulate people's habits on products that were deemed safe by the FDA," he told FoxNews.com. "The government is reaching too far into our lives in trying to regulate personal habits."

WestVirginiaRebel

Unions Threaten To Disrupt Super Bowl

On Super Bowl Sunday, when Americans will be coming together to enjoy a yearly pastime, unions have announced plans to march on the stadium to cause a disturbance. City officials are worried about the security risks but say that "we have a great operations plan in place" should the demonstrations escalate.

gallery_3_42_8681.jpg

Virginia is getting interesting. Since the last election state senate is tied D & R, but the tie breaker goes to the lieutenant goobernater, who's R. They ain't making laws as much as they're repealing. They just hit one for public employee unions based on these "right to work" conditions. Also repealed a limitation on second amendment gun purchasing. Love it.

gallery_3_42_8681.jpg

Heh. My husband works for a state union. The ugly horrible one you see mentioned. He has no choice. He would donate his 2% to charity, but when he started, of the 10 people who worked in his office 5 of them were shop stewards. So he just keeps his head down.

He says that basically unions kill creativity, good customer service and efficiency. They create Junior high in every work place in the government. Don't get the him started. You'll be there for three hours listening to stories and examples. It's entertaining and hilarious...but laced with hostility.

I do wonder what the postman thinks sometimes though. Our mail box is full of union political advertising and GOP political advertising. It's really quite funny.

TWS: Freeing Workers from Union Bosses

Fred Barens

Feb 6, 2012

The Employee Rights Act.

For the first time in decades, union power is under serious threat. Indiana is on the verge of becoming the 23rd state to enact a right-to-work law, liberating workers from being forced to join a union. New Hampshire may also adopt some form of right-to-work. Murmurs about a national right-to-work law are growing. Public sector unions continue to face efforts to curb their power and trim their lavish contracts.

And now there’s a shrewd new challenge to organized labor: the Employee Rights Act. It would take labor law in a new direction. Unlike right-to-work statutes, which help businesses escape unionization, the ERA would protect union workers from high-handedness and abuses of power by their union leaders.

(Snip)

What the ERA would do is entirely sensible. The most striking of its seven reforms would force unions to face a “recertification” election every three years, allowing workers to decide if they want to stick with their current union. Hatch says that “less than 10 percent” of union members today have ever voted on whether to have or keep a union. Another part of the measure would prevent union leaders from “intimidating or coercing employees from exercising their rights, including the right to decertify the union.”

That’s strong medicine. The rest of the ERA would guarantee secret ballot elections, give members the right to refuse to back their union’s political operations, require at least 40 days to hear both sides before voting to certify or decertify a union, require a secret ballot vote before a strike, and make it a crime for unions to use violence or threats to coerce members.

(Snip)

Oof. Good grief, who is the host in the first clip? He is really smarmy. I wonder how many regular people who are forced to be in unions and have no voice in what happens he has contact with regularly.

This is a great movement.