Minneapolis City Council Wants To Give Themselves The Power To Abolish Police

Valin

minneapolis-city-council-power-to-abolish-police

The Minneapolis City Council wants to pass an amendment that grants itself the power to defund the police.

Kyle Hooten

June 26, 2020

The Minneapolis City Council has drafted an amendment to the City Charter that will give them the power abolish the police.

The 13 person council has been on a crusade to get rid of its own city’s police department in the wake of George Floyd’s death last month at the hands of a Minneapolis cop. However, they are presently unable to do away with law enforcement, as the city charter requires the them to fund a police department. This may not be an obstacle forever though if the council’s newest effort is successful.

A new amendment drafted by 5 of the councilmembers, including the council president and Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison’s son, proposes to strike the police from the list of 15 items the charter says they must “provide for.” In the place of a police department, a requirement for “a department of community safety and violence prevention” will become charter-guaranteed, should the amendment see success.

(Snip)

* There are two ways this amendment may be approved. The simplest method would be to secure “the unanimous affirmative vote of the entire membership of the City Council and the approval of the mayor,” per the city.

Another more complicated method that can be employed involves putting the issue to a vote with the citizenry of Minneapolis. If the council chooses to pursue this course of action, they can override the mayor’s wishes with a 2/3 majority vote and have the question added to the next general election (or, if there is none scheduled within the next six months, a standalone election will be created). A simple majority will serve to pass the measure if put to a public vote.

(Snip)

* This I did not know. I thought the only way to amend the city charter was by a vote of citizens. Given the make up of the city council and the (spineless) Boy Mayor...this is scary.

sl24.jpg

Minneapolis Neighborhood Vows To Let Violent Crime Happen To Counteract “White Privilege”

Residents of Powderhorn Park are terrified of the criminals that occupy their neighborhood but have opted to ignore property damage and call the American Indian Movement, not the police, when violent crimes occur.

Kyle Hooten

June 26, 2020

Screen-Shot-2020-06-25-at-12.25.21-PM-Cr

The Powderhorn Park neighborhood has banded together to ignore crime in an effort to counteract their “white privilege,” earning them praise from the New York Times.

A group of Powderhorn Park women say they will ignore all property damage to their own homes and will even refrain from calling the police when lives are in danger. Rather, they have resolved to summon activists from the American Indian Movement (AIM) to mediate disputes and respond to crime. AIM is the same group that topped the statue of Christopher Columbus in front of the Minnesota Capitol building recently. 

(Snip)

Anti-Police Minneapolis City Council Now Spending $4.5k/Day on Private Security

MINNEAPOLIS (FOX 9) - The City of Minneapolis is spending $4,500 a day for private security for three council members who have received threats following the police killing of George Floyd, FOX 9 has learned.

A city spokesperson said the private security details have cost taxpayers $63,000 over the past three weeks.  

The three council members who have the security detail – Andrea Jenkins (Ward 8), and Phillipe Cunningham (Ward 4), and Alondra Cano (Ward 9)– have been outspoken proponents of defunding the Minneapolis Police Department.  

Councilmember Phillipe Cunningham declined to discuss the security measures.  

“I don’t feel comfortable publicly discussing the death threats against me or the level of security I currently have protecting me from those threats,” said Cunningham in a text message.  

Cunningham added that the security is temporary.  
:snip:

• Like 1