Trump: States must allow churches to reopen this weekend, otherwise 'I will override the governors'

Valin

trump-states-must-allow-churches-reopen-weekend-otherwise-i-will

Trump said churches should be considered essential, similar to grocery stores.

Carrie Sheffield

May 22, 2020

President Trump on Friday said states must allow churches to reopen this weekend, otherwise "I will override the governors."

Trump said U.S. churches would be allowed to re-open if they followed coronavirus social distancing protocols. 

"Today I'm identifying houses of worships: churches, synagogues and mosques as essential places that provide essential services," the president said at the White House. "Some governors have deemed liquor stories or abortion clinics as essential but have left out churches and other houses of worship. That's not right. So I'm correcting this injustice and I'm calling houses of worship essential."

Trump said that spiritual leaders "will make sure that their congregations are safe as they gather and pray. I know them well, they love their congregations. They love their people. they don't want anything bad to happen to them or to anybody else. The governors need to do the right thing and allow these very important essential places of faith to open right now. For this weekend. If they don't do it, I will override the governors. In America, we need more prayer, not less." 

(Snip)

May 22 2020

Rev. Robert Sirico joined Neil Cavuto on Fox News Channel's "Your World with Neil Cavuto" to discuss how churches are being impacted by states' reopening plans as President Donald Trump declared churches to be "essential services" and urged state governors to allow them to reopen as soon as possible.

The Acton Institute is a think-tank whose mission is to promote a free and virtuous society characterized by individual liberty and sustained by religious principles. This direction recognizes the benefits of a limited government, but also the beneficent consequences of a free market. It embraces an objective framework of moral values, but also recognizes and appreciates the subjective nature of economic value. It views justice as a duty of all to give the one his due but, more importantly, as an individual obligation to serve the common good and not just his own needs and wants.

In order to promote a more profound understanding of the coming together of faith and liberty, Acton involves members of religious, business, and academic spheres in its various seminars, publications, and academic activities. It is our hope that by demonstrating the compatibility of faith, liberty, and free economic activity, religious leaders and entrepreneurs can contribute by helping to shape a society that is secure, free, and virtuous.