Trump Administration Challenges California over Abortion-Funding Requirement

Valin

trump-administration-challenges-california-over-abortion-funding-requirement

Alexandra DeSanctis

February 7, 2020

Late last month, just before Donald Trump became the first president ever to speak at the rally before the annual March for Life, his administration announced that it would take action against California over its requirement that insurers in the state cover abortion procedures.

The Office of Civil Rights, which is a new division within the Department of Health and Human Services, announced that California’s requirement violates the Weldon amendment, a conscience protection for health-care providers that refuse to cover or perform particular procedures due to religious or moral objections.

“The Weldon amendment is very clear,” OCR director Roger Severino said in a call for reporters prior to the announcement. “If states receive federal funds from HHS and other agencies, they cannot discriminate against health plans that decline to cover or pay for abortions.”

The department issued a notice to California shortly thereafter, requiring the state to “signal its intent to come into compliance with the law or face appropriate action.” The administration has not detailed the specifics of what punitive action it might take if the state refuses to comply, although Severino suggested that California could lose the funding it receives from HHS.

(Snip)

xpregnancy-week-32-fingernails_square.jp

Thank You President Trump

• Like 1

I admit, during the 2016 campaign for Trump/Pence, I thought Trump's pro-life campaign promises were a condition for having Mike Pence as his VP candidate. I'm happy to know that it was sincere, and that he continues to pursue legal support for it.

Of course, California does not admit to the need to follow federal laws with which they disagree. One (of many) reasons I no longer live there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrPatReads said:

I admit, during the 2016 campaign for Trump/Pence, I thought Trump's pro-life campaign promises were a condition for having Mike Pence as his VP candidate. I'm happy to know that it was sincere, and that he continues to pursue legal support for it.

Of course, California does not admit to the need to follow federal laws with which they disagree. One (of many) reasons I no longer live there.

As those here at the time will attest during the primary I was ABT (Anyone But Trump) I was dragged kicking and screaming into Voting for him, (well actually Voting Against Hillary). By march 2017 I was starting to suspect I..Was..Wrong about Trump, and he Might turn out to be a pretty good President...well better late than never. He has turned out to be a Pretty Darn Good Center/Right President...And Pretty Darn Good is good enough. He is actually trying to do what he said he would do. :blink: Never saw that one coming!

• Like 1

Related................

Feb, 7 2020

The left loves to say: Our bodies, our choice. Before you make up your mind on abortion, here's what you need to consider.

I don't know, maybe its just me, but I think poisoning, chopping up babies is a really Really Really bad idea.

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever."

Thomas Jefferson

• Like 2

...I don't know, maybe its just me, but I think poisoning, chopping up babies is a really Really Really bad idea...

When I was much younger, my spouse and I were solidly "pro-choice," and supported Planned Parenthood. That was when their operating principle was that abortion should be safe, legal and rare. Then the crass side of the endeavor began to take over, and to be exposed as what it now was, a racket. (Or, as Alan Dershowitz pointed out in Guilt by Accusation

The philosopher Eric Hoffer once described the evolution—or devolution—of movements as follows: “Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.”)

Not that pro-life was a great cause, but that it began as a movement with a valid philosophy and a deeply flawed premise (i.e., "the fetus is not a child until it's born"). The CMP undercover videos prove it has now, at minimum, become a business (if not already a racket), yet it still gets support from the unconsidering pro-abortion folks.

• Like 1