President Trump Unveils Middle East Peace Plan With Two-State Solution To Israel-Palestine Conflict

Geee

president-trump-unveils-middle-east-peace-plan-with-two-state-solution-to-israel-palestine-conflict

President Trump proposed a two-state solution to the Israel-Palestine conflict as he unveiled his highly anticipated Middle East peace plan. While speaking alongside Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House Tuesday, the president laid out his administration’s plan.

It includes a tunnel connecting the West Bank and Gaza. Additionally, President Trump said the proposal will double Palestinian territory and set its capital in Eastern Jerusalem, where the U.S. will open an embassy. The president also said his vision will end the cycle of Palestinian dependence on charity and foreign aid.:snip:

National Security Advisor Robert C. O’Brien On President Trump’s New Middle East Peace Plan

Jan. 29 2020

Audio

(Snip)

HH: Now to the Middle East peace plan, the main event. I’m reading from the New York Times. They say reaction from Arab countries surprisingly solid. A statement from United Arab Emirates Ambassador to Washington Yousef Al Otaiba called the plan a serious initiative that addresses many issues raised over the years. And Saudi Arabia’s minister of foreign affairs issued a muted statement saying it appreciates the efforts of President Trump’s administration to develop a comprehensive peace plan. I believe Bahrain, Oman and Egypt as well supportive of this. Are you generally encouraged? Is the President encouraged by the reaction of the Arab states?

ROB: Yeah, we’ve never seen anything like this before on a peace plan. There were a number of firsts that took place yesterday. I believe, I could be wrong, but I believe that this is the first time that a president in his first term with an election coming up has risked political capital to try and bring peace to the Middle East and solve this very thorny problem that’s bedeviled presidents my entire lifetime of peace between the Israelis and Palestinians. Number two, we got the Israelis, who are in the midst of a very difficult election campaign, actually three election campaigns in a row, we’ve brought them together with Gantz an Netanyahu. I think that was the first great accomplishment of this plan to get the Israelis to come together as a vast majority of Israelis to get them behind the peace plan. And then third, you’ve seen this really strong, positive reaction coming out of the Middle East, coming out of Europe in favor of the idea of the Israelis and Palestinians sitting down and talking about this plan, which is a two-state solution, Palestinian capital in the eastern municipality of Jerusalem, access to the holy sites, Muslim holy sites for all Muslims from around the world so they can make pilgrimages to the al Aqsa Mosque, $50 billion dollar investment plan that could turn this Palestinian state into the Singapore of the Middle East. There are a lot of great things. If you’re a Palestinian, there are a lot of great things in there for you. You don’t want to miss this opportunity.

HH: Now Mike Gallagher, your friend and mine, said the biggest problem is what will Abbas do, the president of the Palestinian Authority. Admiral Stavridis earlier in the program said this is the last exit before the tunnel in front of the Palestinian Authority. I’ve said I’d come back and ask for more money and more land, but I’d make a counteroffer. Do you have a partner to negotiate with, Robert C. O’Brien?

ROB: Well, I hope so. I think, you know, the playbook for the Palestinians over the last 40 years is anytime an American president whether, you know, it’s Jimmy Carter or Bill Clinton or Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, anytime an American president tries to get the peace process going, the Palestinians stop it. So you know, we can expect that sort of initial reaction. But I think once the wave breaks in a couple of days, and they realize that their close friends in the Arab world, and their supporters are telling them that this is a good deal and they should sit down and negotiate, and like you said, Hugh, these guys are master negotiators on the Palestinian side. They’re going to ask for more land. They’re going to ask for more money. Why not? But sit down at the table and do it, and get involved in the process and try to create a great future for the Palestinian people. They’re very talented, highly-educated, hard-working folks. This is their opportunity to rally shine, and we hope that the Palestinian leadership will give them a chance to have their own state and have a great future.

HH: Now of course, Hamas is not a partner to this deal. But do you have any signs at all that within the Palestinian Authority there are people who do want to have a conversation, whether it’s backdoor and quiet at the beginning, or open and out in front of everyone? Do you have any positive signs?

ROB: Yeah, I think there are a lot of Palestinians that want what we all want. They want a great future for their kids. They want their kids to be able to grow up at peace, to go to college, to have opportunities to get a good job. This plan would cut the Palestinian unemployment rate in half. It would double their GDP, potentially triple their GDP. So we think there are a lot of Palestinians, including folks that work in the PA that would love to sit down and negotiate out a great deal for their future. Now Hamas has come out against it, and I thought this morning, well, that’s a dog bites man story. I mean, a terrorist organization is against a peace plan, so you know, that’s not a surprise. But we think there are a lot of great Palestinian folks, including folks that live under Hamas’ grip in Gaza that would like to spend their time building a tunnel for a high-speed rail that connects Gaza to the West Bank instead of having their leaders try to build tunnels into Israel to commit terrorist acts. So let’s put their tunnel-building skills and their ingenuity and their engineering ability to building a great new Gaza for the people of Palestine and stop with the terrorism.

HH: Last question, Ambassador O’Brien, National Security Advisor to President Trump. Would President Trump be willing to host a Camp David 2.0 including President Abbas, Prime Minister Netanyahu, maybe Benny Gantz, as well as Arab state representatives? Is there a Camp David 2.0 out there?

ROB: Oh, I think it would be great to get all those folks together at Camp David. It’s a beautiful site, wonderful place, and also an historic place when you think on Israeli-Egyptian Camp David accord. So I think that would be, I think there are a lot of wonderful places in America that a peace deal could be signed or negotiated. Camp David is certainly at the top of the list because of its historic connection to the region. And so I think that would be fantastic. I think President Trump would do whatever it takes to bring peace to the Middle East. He’s shown a tremendous amount of courage, and you saw that in the rollout yesterday, the great response that we received. So I think President Trump would be happy to host a lot of folks here, and whether it’s at Camp David or at the White House, or in the middle of an Iowa cornfield in the great American heartland, I think he’d love to get those folks together and help bring peace to that region.

HH: Ambassador O’Brien, always good to talk to you. Come back early and often. Thank you, and good work on the peace plan. I hope it is successful.

ROB: Thank you, sir.