Dem Candidates Are Generous — But Only With Other People’s Money

Geee

democratic-presidential-candidates-are-modern-day-scrooges

There’s a scene early in Charles Dickens’ fabled Christmas story when representatives of a private charity approach Ebenezer Scrooge asking him for a donation.

Scrooge’s response: “Are there no prisons? And the Union workhouses? Are they still in operation? The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigor, then? … I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course.”

Scrooge goes on to explain that the taxes he pays “help to support the establishments I have mentioned. They cost enough: and those who are badly off must go there.”

Scrooge would fit right in with today’s crop of Democrats hoping one day to be president.

USA Today took a look at their tax returns and found that, when it comes to making personal charitable donations, Democrats pull their purse strings as tight as Dickens’ most famous miser.

Here’s a rundown of leading Democrats’ donations to charity as a percentage of income based on the latest tax filings publicly available, which Tax Notes has helpfully compiled:

• Beto O’Rourke: 0.3%
  • Pete Buttigieg: 0.6%
  • Kirsten Gillibrand: 1.1%
  • Kamala Harris: 1.4%
  • Joe Biden: 1.8%
  • Amy Klobuchar: 1.9%
  • Bernie Sanders: 3.3%
  • Jay Inslee: 4%
  • Elizabeth Warren: 5.5%

:snip:

Draggingtree

The Beto Moment Has Passed. I Mourn.

By Old Bathos May 10, 2019 /24 COMMENTS

Beto’s poll numbers are no longer even measurable with normal-sized samples. I mourn the passing of the Beto campaign in verse, just as Beto would have me do:

He stood on our tables and let revelations flow.
It was never where Beto is but where Beto will go.
And take us. To where we could be. Yet always were  
:snip:   https://ricochet.com/621534/the-beto-moment-has-passed-i-mourn/

B)

• 2 months later...
Draggingtree

Kirsten Gillibrand Proposes $10 Trillion Dollar Climate Change Plan

Posted by Mike LaChance  ▪  July 27, 2019 at 12:00pm

“relies on on several policy levers: government procurement, stronger regulations, pollution fees and research and development spending”

Kirsten Gillibrand launched her bid for president in January of 2019. Since then, she has not been able to break one percent in the Real Clear Politics average of polls. What’s a candidate to do in order to remain relevant? Offer massive, expensive proposals, apparently.

(more…)    :snip: https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/07/kirsten-gillibrand-proposes-10-trillion-dollar-climate-change-plan/#more-290483