New York man wanted to bomb US as part of Pakistan terrorist group: Prosecutors

Valin

new-york-man-wanted-to-bomb-us-as-part-of-pakistan-terrorist-group-prosecutors

Allison Elyse Gualtieri

February 09, 2019

A New York man faces terrorism charges after his arrest at John F. Kennedy Airport, where federal officials said he was on his way to join the terrorist group behind the 2008 Mumbai attacks.

Jesus Wilfredo Encarnacion was arrested in November while he was on his way to Pakistan to join Lashkar-e-Taiba, where he was hoping to train with the deadly organization, officials said Friday.

According to court documents, Encarnacion is alleged to have told an online group chat he wanted to join a terrorist group and discussed with one of the members how he could get to Pakistan for training because “I want to execute. I want to behead. Shoot.”

He spent months discussing his plans to travel abroad to join the terrorist group with an undercover FBI agent, saying he wanted to become an executioner for the Muslim group and "I want to kill on video. Terrify our enemies." He and the undercover agent planned his travel to Europe, where Encarnacion expected he would meet members of the group for the rest of the trip to Pakistan, where he would be trained.

(Snip)