In Stunning Power Grab, Wisconsin Republicans Pass Bill Weakening New Governor

Valin

in-stunning-power-grab-wisconsin-republicans-pass-bill-weakening-new-governor_us_5c06e268e4b0680a7ec9a289

The bills take power away from newly elected Democrats.

Kevin Robillard

Dec. 5 2018

Wisconsin’s lame-duck, Republican-controlled state Legislature passed on Wednesday a host of measures designed to kneecap Gov.-elect Tony Evers, other Democrats elected to statewide offices and hurt the Democratic Party in general, sending the legislation to the GOP governor Evers defeated ― Scott Walker ― for his signature.

One part of the package would prohibit municipalities from allowing more than two weeks of early voting. That presumably would cut down on voter turnout, which generally helps Republicans.

Other provisions would give the Legislature full control of a state economic development agency, block the governor’s ability to write regulations and allow the Legislature to hire its own lawyers to file lawsuits on behalf of the state.

Walker, who narrowly lost to Evers, is expected to sign the package into law.

(Snip)

1 hour ago, Valin said:
in-stunning-power-grab-wisconsin-republicans-pass-bill-weakening-new-governor_us_5c06e268e4b0680a7ec9a289

The bills take power away from newly elected Democrats.

Kevin Robillard

Dec. 5 2018

Wisconsin’s lame-duck, Republican-controlled state Legislature passed on Wednesday a host of measures designed to kneecap Gov.-elect Tony Evers, other Democrats elected to statewide offices and hurt the Democratic Party in general, sending the legislation to the GOP governor Evers defeated ― Scott Walker ― for his signature.

One part of the package would prohibit municipalities from allowing more than two weeks of early voting. That presumably would cut down on voter turnout, which generally helps Republicans.

Other provisions would give the Legislature full control of a state economic development agency, block the governor’s ability to write regulations and allow the Legislature to hire its own lawyers to file lawsuits on behalf of the state.

Walker, who narrowly lost to Evers, is expected to sign the package into law.

(Snip)

Local media has been having a coronary about this. I don't know if I like this any more than when the Republicans took power and the Democrats left the State to keep them from having a quorum to vote in their agenda. The media thought that it was fine and dandy I might add. 

1 hour ago, Geee said:

Local media has been having a coronary about this. I don't know if I like this any more than when the Republicans took power and the Democrats left the State to keep them from having a quorum to vote in their agenda. The media thought that it was fine and dandy I might add. 

One part of the package would prohibit municipalities from allowing more than two weeks of early voting

I Like it! I really don't like the concept of early voting.

8 hours ago, Valin said:

I Like it! I really don't like the concept of early voting.

That is only one part of the package. That I agree with. There are several components to the package. It is aimed at trying to take power from the executive to the legislative branch. They are trying to do what they can to keep this governor from undoing Governor Walkers work. I hate to see Walkers work undone, but I don't know about that concept. What if Trump was not able to undo Obama's work?

31 minutes ago, Geee said:

That is only one part of the package. That I agree with. There are several components to the package. It is aimed at trying to take power from the executive to the legislative branch. They are trying to do what they can to keep this governor from undoing Governor Walkers work. I hate to see Walkers work undone, but I don't know about that concept. What if Trump was not able to undo Obama's work?

The problem is for most politicians, long term thinking is 4 years.

• Like 1

The Wisconsin ‘Coup’ That Wasn’t Untoward, not undemocratic.

Have you heard? There is a “coup” underway in Wisconsin. With a Democrat set to retake the statehouse in January, Wisconsin Republicans convened a lame-duck session of the legislature with the intention of passing a series of bills aimed at curbing the new governor’s authority. The measures cover a range of activity: There’s transferring the power of appointments to an economic development board back to the legislature, prohibiting the governor from banning guns in the state Capitol building, and unilaterally withdrawing from state legal challenges to Obamacare without legislative consent. The reaction to these initiatives from the national press has not been mild.

“Republicans in Wisconsin are trying to undo the results of the 2018 election,” wrote CNN’s Chris Cillizza. Vox.com’s Zack Beauchamp accused the Badger State’s GOP of “nullifying” the 2018 vote. “Wisconsin Republicans shield their voters from the horrors of democratic elections,” read a snarky Washington Post headline. Esquire’s predictably apoplectic Charles Pierce called the Wisconsin GOP’s move more evidence that the Republican Party represents “the greatest threat to the American republic since Appomattox.”

Michigan’s Republicans, too, hope to curb the power of the incoming Democratic governor, attorney general, and secretary of state while there is still time. Republicans in these upper midwestern state’s aren’t exactly thwarting the peaceful transfer of power, claimed Slate’s Jamelle Bouie, but such “legislative coup d’états” are “movement in that direction.”:snip:

How Wisconsin Republicans Tamed the Administrative State

The latest controversy stems from a years-long project that other states should admire.

The recent extraordinary legislative session in Wisconsin included significant reforms to the administrative-rule-making process. Lost among the objections from some (allegations that the current Republican government is kneecapping the incoming Democratic administration) is a simple reality: The reforms are but the culmination of eight years of thoughtful efforts on the part of the governor and legislative leaders to recalibrate the constitutionally mandated separation of powers. Other states, and even Congress, should take note of what Wisconsin reformers have accomplished.

47 minutes ago, Geee said:

The Wisconsin ‘Coup’ That Wasn’t Untoward, not undemocratic.

Have you heard? There is a “coup” underway in Wisconsin. With a Democrat set to retake the statehouse in January, Wisconsin Republicans convened a lame-duck session of the legislature with the intention of passing a series of bills aimed at curbing the new governor’s authority. The measures cover a range of activity: There’s transferring the power of appointments to an economic development board back to the legislature, prohibiting the governor from banning guns in the state Capitol building, and unilaterally withdrawing from state legal challenges to Obamacare without legislative consent. The reaction to these initiatives from the national press has not been mild.

“Republicans in Wisconsin are trying to undo the results of the 2018 election,” wrote CNN’s Chris Cillizza. Vox.com’s Zack Beauchamp accused the Badger State’s GOP of “nullifying” the 2018 vote. “Wisconsin Republicans shield their voters from the horrors of democratic elections,” read a snarky Washington Post headline. Esquire’s predictably apoplectic Charles Pierce called the Wisconsin GOP’s move more evidence that the Republican Party represents “the greatest threat to the American republic since Appomattox.”

Michigan’s Republicans, too, hope to curb the power of the incoming Democratic governor, attorney general, and secretary of state while there is still time. Republicans in these upper midwestern state’s aren’t exactly thwarting the peaceful transfer of power, claimed Slate’s Jamelle Bouie, but such “legislative coup d’états” are “movement in that direction.”:snip:

Do I detect the merest hint of hyperbole?

“the greatest threat to the American republic since Appomattox.”

Could some kind soul please explain this to me......small words only....I'm a conservative, so I'm not that bright.

Daily protests at the Capital again and hand wringing on all news stations. Like I said - when the republicans took over both branches of the State legislature, these same stations found it amusing when the Senators and Reps fled to Illinois so there wouldn't be a quorum to pass legislation. They didn't  call that thwarting the voice of the people. That was darn right childish. Did they think they were going to stay there permanently?? How did they think it was going to end?  Idiots.

1 hour ago, Geee said:

The two groups want to change the state's ID requirements in order to vote. They want to see temporary voting credentials be valid for 180 days, opposed to the law's 60 days. The liberal groups also want to allow students to use their student ID to vote, even if it's expired. 

Because What Could Go Wrong!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...