WHO ‘Rethinking’ Appointment Of Mugabe As Goodwill Ambassador

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
who-rethinking-appointment-of-mugabe-as-goodwill-ambassador

The World Health Organization (WHO) is having second thoughts about appointing perennial dictator and Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe as its new “goodwill ambassador.”

Standing next to his 93-year-old appointee, WHO’s director general Tedros Ghebreyesus made the announcement in Uruguay this week while the two were at a conference in the South American country and confirmed his decision on Friday, The New York Times reports.

But world critism may have induced a change of heart: In a tweet Saturday, Ghebreyesus said that “I’m listening. I hear your concerns. Rethinking the approach in light of WHO values. I will issue a statement as soon as possible.”

The appointment has provoked shock and outrage around the world because Mugabe is more known for human rights abuses and presiding over an ossified economy than any personal dedication to world health.

In 2008 the charitable group Physicians for Human Rights issued a damning indictment of Mugabe’s dictatorial and repressive regime, saying the mounting health care crisis in the country was entirely manufactured by an inept and inefficient government.

“The government of Robert Mugabe presided over the dramatic reversal of its population’s access to food, clean water, basic sanitation and health care,” the physicians said, adding that the result was “the shuttering of hospitals and clinics, the closing of its medical school and the beatings of health workers.”

________

Just the man they were looking for...