Will the Real Smithville Bank Robber Please Stand Up?

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

Will the Real Smithville Bank Robber Please Stand Up?

An Austin artist’s criminal history was—kind of, sort of—the inspiration for a recent movie. But the true story of her life is even stranger than what made it onto the screen.

March 10, 201

6By Christopher Hooks

I ask Mollie Iley if she knows that a movie has been made — sort of, but not really, but sort of — about one of the most important moments of her life. “No,” she says. “I’ve been in one movie here in Austin, and it was pretty bad. It was called Barn of the Blood Llama,” a horror tale about a perverted veterinarian who takes a particular interest in one of his animals: the Blood Llama. It didn’t get much attention. She heard about theater walkouts in Australia.

The new one, she hasn’t heard about at all. It’s called The Teller and the Truth, I say. “Really? The Teller and the Truth,” she says, rolling around the last word in the title. You can’t trust creative types, she says. “They’re silver-tongued devils. They’ll spin a tale.”

The Teller and the Truth, which became available on streaming sites on March 1, is billed as the romanticized true-life story of a bank robbery, done in a style that’s part documentary and part fiction, though the precise ratio is a bit of enigma, as I detailed in a recent Texas Monthly story.

Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/will-the-real-smithville-bank-robber-please-stand-up/