Why We Should Resettle Refugees In Their Own Lands

Draggingtree

why-we-should-resettle-refugees-in-their-own-landsThe Federalist : Why We Should Resettle Refugees In Their Own Lands

The refugee crisis exists because America has indulged foolish foreign policies. To get out of this mess will require wisdom, not more of the same.

By Luma Simms NOVEMBER 23, 2015

I was neither born nor bred in this country. I don’t have Ivy League credentials. Unlike elitists and pundits informed as much by cocktail parties as they are by polls and studies, I’m informed by blood, kin, and culture.

I was born in Baghdad to Christian parents who emigrated the old-fashioned way—legally—and for an old-fashioned reason: The treatment of Christians, like my family, by Muslims in the surrounding culture.

I cry at the “Star Spangled Banner,” and I cry when my naturalized home wages war against my birth home. I am an American. I am also Iraqi, and a Moslawii down to my dialect and my cooking. Such is the existential reality of first-generation immigrants: Scissors-32x32.png

A Private Solution to the Syrian Refugee Crisis

NOVEMBER 18, 2015Tho Bishop

The political response to last Friday’s tragic terrorist attack in Paris has been woefully predictable.

President Obama has vowed renewed commitment to his current ISIS strategy – whatever that may be.

Republicans in Congress have railed against the President’s strategy and called for a stronger response – whatever that may be.

Governors and State legislatures have responded to public concern about Syrian refugees by taking vocal stands resisting refugees enter their states by any means at their disposal – whatever that may be.

While there is a great deal of moral indignation in the media – including among libertarian publications – about the response of these governors, this sort political posturing is inevitable. As long as America is a democratic country whose people lack any confidence in their government to accomplish simple tasks – much less separating good guys from bad guys – fear will drive public policy. After all, if Washington had demonstrated any competence in this area, maybe ISIS wouldn’t be quite so well armed. Scissors-32x32.png

Every single day we get phone calls from Americans who want to privately sponsor a refugee. But since the private sponsorship is not legal, it's not an option, the government doesn't permit that, they're unable to do that.

https://mises.org/blog/private-solution-syrian-refugee-crisis Scissors-32x32.png