EXECUTION WATCH: Jerry Duane Martin (TX)

Draggingtree

EXECUTION WATCH: Jerry Duane Martin (TX)

Posted by Robbie Cooper on 12/2/2013

Dec 022013

• Thug: Jerry Duane Martin (37 at time of offense)
  • Date of Execution: December 03, 2013
  • Date of Crime: September 24, 2007
  • Victim(s): Susan Canfield (59)
  • Last Meal: I hope he enjoyed his turkey day dinner on the row — because he won’t be around for the Christmas ham.
  • Final Words: TBD

I wrote about Jerry Martin back in 2007 when he initially escaped from a Huntsville prison, where he was serving 50 years for two charges of attempted capital murder. Martin and another inmate, John Ray Falk Jr. killed a prison guard during the escape.

His two charges of attempted capital murder didn’t get him the death sentence. This subsequent capital murder did. And tomorrow evening, some time just after 6:00 p.m. HTT, he’ll pay for his crimes with his life.

Martin and an accomplice, John Ray Falk Jr., were part of a work detail in the prison onion field at the Wynne Unit in Huntsville when Martin used a ruse to get near a guard, stole the guard’s .357 revolver and tossed it to Falk. The two inmates then climbed a fence where, on the other side, 59-year-old Canfield was on horse-mounted patrol. Falk struggled with her and stole her rifle while Martin stole a pickup truck parked nearby. Martin drove that truck into Canfield and her horse, pitching her onto the windshield. She sustained head injuries and reportedly died immediately. Martin and Falk then drove a short distance, abandoned the pickup truck, and carjacked a woman in a bank parking lot. After police shot out a tire in that vehicle, the pair fled on foot. Falk was picked up within the hour and Martin was found three and a half hours later, hiding in a tree. Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://urbangrounds.com/2013/12/execution-jerry-martin/

• 3 weeks later...

The Time To Put Away Childish Things…Is Now

Posted by Robbie Cooper on 12/17/2013

On Sept. 22, 2004, I installed WordPress 1.2 (we’re still using WordPress nine years later, but we’re up to version 3.8 now) and transformed my canoeing journal into a blog. I moved over a few legacy pieces from the journal, but the first new post to UrbanGrounds — a review of the 2004 Austin City Limits Music Festival — was posted on September 22, 2004.

I had no idea what this small corner of the intertubes would become, or how much of my life would become wrapped up in what was always intended to be a hobby.

Since that first post, I have written a total of 8181 posts, which have gathered 72734 comments from y’all, and according to the Site Meter I installed early on, 4.6 million unique visitors to my little site.

This post is number 8182. And it will also be my last.Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://urbangrounds.com/2013/12/goodbye/