Coffee Shop

Rheo

AN OBSERVATION.

tumblr_mg0ubzhc9S1qgq1t9o1_400.jpg

"The principal difficulty lies, and the greatest care should be employed in constituting this Representative Assembly. It should be in miniature, an exact portrait of the people at large. It should think, feel, reason, and act like them."

John Adams

Is there a break down by party of millionaires in congress? Sorry, had the flu yesterdayblink.png

AN OBSERVATION.

"The principal difficulty lies, and the greatest care should be employed in constituting this Representative Assembly. It should be in miniature, an exact portrait of the people at large. It should think, feel, reason, and act like them."

John Adams

Is there a break down by party of millionaires in congress? Sorry, had the flu yesterdayblink.png

I said SMALL WORDS!!! tongue.png

AN OBSERVATION.

John Adams

I said SMALL WORDS!!! tongue.png

O tongue.pngtongue.png

Food For Thought Alert.

Scientists Discover Unbreakable 90-Year-Old Mobius Loop

Ed Driscoll

1/6/13

I’ve written several posts over the years noting that modern art — at least the “shocking the bourgeois” brand of modern art — is a genre permanently trapped in the 1920s. Modern architecture often seems similarly trapped in the same decade, endlessly recycling the forms and styles created by Mies van der Rohe and Le Corbusier. Sarah Hoyt has an interesting post this weekend that describes much of today’s bourgeois intellectual life as permanently trapped in that decade as well, as a byproduct of WWI and its aftermath:

(Snip)

Related: “The era of Western cultural health is dead, and it died pretty much as Spengler predicted it would. And no doubt his study of previous great civilizations did in fact accurately identify pressures and forces that emerge at particular points in civilizational development and push toward empire and Caesarism. This push can be resisted by a free people dedicated to the protection of their institutions of old. But they won’t be protected if events are placed on autopilot.”

Have A Nice Day! rolleyes.gif

Even for a computer idiot like me....this seems pretty awesome. A One Terabyte stick drive shown @ the 2013 CES:

H/T:TheAwesomer

Check this out, too....a Seagate wireless media driver:

H/T:TheAwesomer

If I had money, it'd be Christmas....and Birthday.....

righteousmomma
I recommend reading the whole thing; it was harder than someone may think:

Can Forgiveness Play a Role in Criminal Justice?

I read the whole thing, @saveliberty. It was well worth the time spent. In the end, I have mixed feelings . . .

I agree with Chickadee.

As a believer in GOD and a student of the Bible there are undercurrents of unease towards "restorative justice" (as described in the article) in a way too complicated to explain in a few words in a post.

righteousmomma

IMO some great and timely points AND WHAT we have all seen, known and preached against since starting Wide Awake to The Right Reasons.

So in order of import to me:

The 1920s was the debut of the modern intellectual,

Similarly, as the late Allan Bloom wrote in The Closing of the American Mind, America in general transformed itself into the post-WWI-era Weimar Republic on a mammoth scale:

So, I say – break the cycle. Speak real truth to power. Write of war and evil, sure, but as human ills, and not as the result of the unique badness of Western Civilization (or civilization) or capitalism, or affluence, or industrialization. Dare point out that while humanity has had savages aplenty, few of them were noble. Dare point out that while civilized man can be conventional, conventional behavior is often decent and moral and better for everyone.

• Like 2

I read the whole thing, @saveliberty. It was well worth the time spent. In the end, I have mixed feelings . . .

I agree with Chickadee.

As a believer in GOD and a student of the Bible there are undercurrents of unease towards "restorative justice" (as described in the article) in a way too complicated to explain in a few words in a post.

@righteousmomma, I am not advocating, I am pointing out where a family of a victim sought it. It was harder on them than they bargained for and harder on the shooter.

He did get 20 years. What we do not know is if the parents of the young woman received healing more quickly.

I am coming to the conclusion that the laws of physics have a relationship to interpersonal interactions. For every negative action, there is an equal positive reaction. We see it in horrible news stories, in politics, it is so prevalent in the world today.

This is the opportunity with sharing God's mercy - finding how we can share God's love as we face human suffering.

Example, Emilie Parker's father showing support for the family of the Newton CT shooter. No parent should lose a child. No one expects a parent who has lost a child in such a horrific way to show mercy and forgiveness, but I find this a rivulet of God's light and love.

Or how the Amish families forgave their children's shooter.

God made each of us as individuals and we aren't "one size fits all". But it's probably good for each of us to question how to we should be sharing God's love more in our daily lives. I sure am working on it.

Even justifiable anger can turn to poison if a person isn't careful.

• Like 1

righteousmomma

Well, Save while you fold I'll go stir the laundry.

As for your response I did not think you were advocating anything and I most certainly did not think you were questioning any body's love for God .

Actually I was not thinking of anyone in particular but more of Western civilization perceptions and perspectives versus Eastern perspectives and perceptions of the Purpose and Meaning and Destiny of all human beings.

In one sense this goes back to some of the same thoughts in the article posted by Valin that I just replied to.

Meant to also say I was not referring to Forgiveness per se but the root of the restorative forgiveness concept as presented in the article.

• Like 1

Alaskagirl posted on her Facebook that she must be addicted to caffeine because she gets withdrawal headaches that go away when she has a cup of coffee.

Naturally, I posted these links:

"I don't think that there is a problem with coffee."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57447490-10391704/three-cups-of-coffee-per-day-might-prevent-alzheimers-in-older-adults/

Study of 124 older adults with mild cognitive impairment showed that coffee drinking could prevent their slide into dementia

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57447490-10391704/three-cups-of-coffee-per-day-might-prevent-alzheimers-in-older-adults/

http://news.consumerreports.org/health/2011/09/coffee-prevents-depression-study-suggests.html

news.consumerreports.org

As a confirmed java junkie, I’ve put together a mini treasure trove of research ...See More

http://theundyingsoul.com/tag/coffee-prevents-cancer/

theundyingsoul.com

Suspected by some and consumed by many millions, the most certain thing about co...See More

APNewsBreak: Rockefeller won't seek re-election

CHARLESTON, W.Va. —

U.S. Sen. Jay Rockefeller, who came to West Virginia as a young man from one of the world's richest families to work on antipoverty programs and remained in the state to build a political legacy, announced Friday he will not seek a sixth term.

Scissors-32x32.png

edited to add:

Jay Rockefeller won't run in 2014

This is very good news overall for the GOP Senate prospects. Josh Krashaar of National Journal laid out the map a few weeks ago:

After losing two seats, newly-minted NRSC chairman Jerry Moran now needs to net six seats to win back control of the Senate. The formula is simple, but challenging: Win six of the 7 Democratic-held seats in states Romney carried (Alaska, Arkansas, Louisiana, Montana, North Carolina, South Dakota, West Virginia), or expand their wiggle room by ousting a vulnerable Democrat like Minnesota Sen. Al Franken. Republicans hardly face any exposure: Even with prospective primary challenges, only Maine Sen. Susan Collins is even remotely at risk this cycle against a Democrat. All told, the 2014 map is even more encouraging for Republicans, provided they land the right candidates.

Might 2014 be the year the Republicans win both the House and Senate? With Rockefeller's retirement, things look promising indeed.

• Like 1

Tim Carney: Former abortion lobbyist busted in child-sex sting

Scott Swirling, former president and top lobbyist of the pro-choice, family planning advocacy group National Family Planning & Reproductive Health Association, was arrested allegedly seeking to have sex with a 12-year-old girl being pimped out by her father.

Thankfully, there was no real 12-year-old girl or monstrous father in this case — they were all undercover DC cops and FBI agents. Scott McCabe at our crime page has the story.

Who is Swirling? He was executive director of the National Family Planning & Reproductive Health Association, where he took the lead on a lawsuit arguing that it was unconstitutional to ban federal subsidies for abortion and abortion referrals. Earlier, Swirling was government affairs director — that is, chief lobbyist — of NFPRHA.

Scissors-32x32.png

Tim Carney: Former abortion lobbyist busted in child-sex sting

Scott Swirling, former president and top lobbyist of the pro-choice, family planning advocacy group National Family Planning & Reproductive Health Association, was arrested allegedly seeking to have sex with a 12-year-old girl being pimped out by her father.

Thankfully, there was no real 12-year-old girl or monstrous father in this case — they were all undercover DC cops and FBI agents. Scott McCabe at our crime page has the story.

Who is Swirling? He was executive director of the National Family Planning & Reproductive Health Association, where he took the lead on a lawsuit arguing that it was unconstitutional to ban federal subsidies for abortion and abortion referrals. Earlier, Swirling was government affairs director — that is, chief lobbyist — of NFPRHA.

Scissors-32x32.png

ohmy.png

Conservative ideas need a new message

Jim DeMint

snip

One lesson I learned in marketing is that, for consumers and voters, perception is reality.

November’s election results and exit polls suggest that a majority of Americans agree that government does too much yet still voted for more of it. The election taught conservatives that we can no longer entrust political parties to carry our message.

We must take our case to the people ourselves, and we must start where all good marketing starts: with research. Conservative policies have proved their worth time and time again. If we’re not communicating in a way that makes that clear, we are doing a disservice to our fellow citizens. We need to test the market and our message to communicate more effectively.

That’s why Heritage will start this year to help the conservative movement understand how Americans from all walks of life perceive public policy issues and how to communicate conservative ideas and solutions.

This research project into current public perceptions and how we change them will assist in the resurgence of the conservative movement in America.

snip

The Meaning of Hagel

Charles Krauthammer

"This is my last election. After my election, I have more flexibility."

-- Barack Obama to Dmitry Medvedev, March 26, 2012

The puzzle of the Chuck Hagel nomination for defense secretary is that you normally choose someone of the other party for your Cabinet to indicate a move to the center, but, as The Washington Post editorial board points out, Hagel's foreign policy views are to the left of Barack Obama's, let alone the GOP's. Indeed, they are at the fringe of the entire Senate.

So what's going on? Message sending. Obama won re-election. He no longer has to trim, to appear more moderate than his true instincts. He has the "flexibility" to be authentically Obama.

Hence the Hagel choice: Under the guise of centrist bipartisanship, it allows the president to leave the constrained first-term Obama behind and follow his natural Hagel-like foreign policy inclinations. On three pressing issues in particular:

(1) Military Spending

Scissors-32x32.png

(2) Israel

Scissors-32x32.png

(3) Iran

Scissors-32x32.png

And that's the point. Hagel himself doesn't matter. He won't make foreign policy. Obama will. Hagel's importance is the message his nomination sends about where Obama wants to go. The lessons are being duly drawn. Iran's official media have already cheered the choice of what they call this "anti-Israel" nominee. And they fully understand what his nomination signals regarding administration resolve about stopping them from going nuclear.

The rest of the world can see coming the Pentagon downsizing -- and the inevitable, commensurate decline of U.S. power. Pacific Rim countries will have to rethink reliance on the counterbalance of the U.S. Navy and consider acquiescence to Chinese regional hegemony. Arab countries will understand that the current rapid decline of post-Kissinger U.S. dominance in the region is not cyclical but intended to become permanent.

Hagel is a man of no independent stature. He's no George Marshall or Henry Kissinger. A fringe senator who left no trace behind, Hagel matters only because of what his nomination says about Obama.

However the Senate votes on confirmation, the signal has already been sent. Before Election Day, Obama could only whisper it to his friend Dmitry. Now, with Hagel, he's told the world.

Edited to Add: Sorry, did not see this in the News & Opinion section . . . but it bears repeating.

Edited by Chickadee
  • Like 2

Comment from:

Michelle Obama's Mirror

on this post:

The Gun Fight continues…What Would Breitbart Do?

dominoe4

You don't need that money you worked for, you must end your 'addiction to oil', you can't just set the thermostat to whatever temperature you like and drive a vehicle of your choice, you can't protest abortion because of some claim to 'religious beliefs', you can't just eat whatever you want and drink large drinks, you can't protest government spending, you can't deny the rights of foreigners to stroll across your open border and receive your tax dollars, you can't question the actions and policies of this White House...whether it's selling arms to muslim Nations or flying to Hawaii twice...'We won'. You will fund Obama's re-election campaign through the funneling from other government funds as well as left-sided media outlets, we will sponsor bills to end term limits for President Obama, you will have your gun-rights abridged, infringed, and prohibited. You will be subject to a derelict, propaganda wing of one Party disguised as the 'press'. You will be held hostage by politically connected public-sector Unions, derelict legislators who will not listen to you, write budgets, or follow their own laws. You will be subjected to irradiation, strip searches and humiliation while traveling via airplane....oh, meanwhile, we will be increasing VISA's from terrorist-sponsoring States by the 10's of thousands. Laws and fines will originate from other agencies besides the Legislature. Issues put to democratic vote WILL be overturned by Judges when the results are not what we desired. You WILL be fined for not purchasing a product or service the government has decreed and voted on, despite not reading. And you will be denied further Town-hall type meetings in light of you citizens attrocious behavior during our massive power-grab when we shoved Obamacare down your throat despite your protestations. Those things we are supposed to do, like National defense, we will do not...those things we are not to do, we will. We will sell guns to drug cartels in an effort to cite these guns in violent encounters as reasoning to deny you 2nd Amendment rights. We will bribe the electorate from the Treasury and we will import third-world serfs to establish ourselves through fraudulent 'elections'....even if we have to load buses with the mentally-handicapped, we must win, for you need us to do what's best for you. We will divide and conquer, we will spend you into oblivion, we will train your children and keep them ignorant, we will submit to the UN, limit information, disarm you...end capitalism,we will bury you.

"How could you not trust our government?

SkyDaddy Bloomberg Takes a liking to Playing Deity

January 12, 2013 By Elizabeth Scalia

Scissors-32x32.png

A couple of winters ago, I slipped on the ice and needed x-rays. Came home with three days worth of pain pills. A few months ago my son had an accident, needed x-rays and came home with three days worth of pain pills. No over-prescription, here.

But apparently New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg perceives painkillers as being too-available, and he needs to control it. And if you have to suffer so he can feel better about things, well, that’s too bad. Via Instapundit:

Yesterday, Mayor Michael Bloomberg and city officials unveiled a new initiative to limit supplies of prescription painkillers in the city’s emergency rooms as a way to combat what they described as a growing addiction problem in the region. Some critics, as documented by The New York Times, however, felt the move would unnecessarily hurt poor and uninsured patients who use emergency rooms as their primary care doctor. Needless to say, Mr. Bloomberg was not swayed by this line of argument.