LIVE THREAD: Six Pitfalls in Town Hall Style Debate

Valin

Ha! In the MSNBC group there were way more lean Romney's and the host said it was a draw.

Dems: when its not going our way we just ignore it and say it is. If you disagree we will yell liar!!

I am sick of the TV people telling me that women don't like for the candidates to be mean, well I like to see a little fire and calling out on lies, saw one that said Romney made a big mistake by being mean to O, that's a lot of bull

I agree @cudjo. If I wanted a patsy for president I'd vote for Lindsay Graham. Snort.

Edited to add: I think the media is using the spaghetti strategy here.

Just seeing the clips on the news reinforces Obama's image as a sissy and whiner **

Always hiding behind women's skirts, Valerie Jarret, Hilary Clinton, and now big Candy Rock Mountain Crowley

"Candy" "uh uh"

"Candy" "uh uh"

"Candy" "uh uh"

"Candy" "uh uh"

In summary, on content the candidates tied, having an equal number of points in their favor. But the president needed to dominate the debate; instead, he merely held his own, and with his high-pitched, whiny voice and condescending manner, he lacked Romney's gravitas. Mr. Romney was more presidential than the man who has held the office for four years -- even when it was a three-way debate.

@Valin my friend...

This is for you: http://xkcd.com/

:lol:

Edited to add: Totally cracked me in a way only a mathematician could,

LMFAO.gif

AH! The Experts! They are never wrong...of course they are occasionally...less than right.

One of the things I find fascinating is reading what the experts were saying 5-7-10 years ago, and compare it with what really happened.

@Pepper His condescending tone last night was like fingernails on a chalkboard. After all did you know we have diplomats all around the world? Aaaargh.

• Like 1

:D Knew you'd love it @Valin . If I was ever to get my PHd I'd do my dissertation on the expert prediction class guesses vs. those psychic predictions that you see every year in the National Enquirer and elsewhere. I am really curious to see who gets it right most. My working hypothesis is that it is probably about the same percentage of time because "experts" are so immersed in their own field they are unable to see contradicting evidence and clues.

That is not a bad thing. I know from doing graphic design, user interface certification and even teaching that you must turn off some details to see others. You have to prioritize information. But I suspect that this limits true predictive abilities.

It's one of the reasons I'm so in awe of Michael Barone. But he still misses big stuff!

biggrin.png Knew you'd love it @Valin . If I was ever to get my PHd I'd do my dissertation on the expert prediction class guesses vs. those psychic predictions that you see every year in the National Enquirer and elsewhere. I am really curious to see who gets it right most. My working hypothesis is that it is probably about the same percentage of time because "experts" are so immersed in their own field they are unable to see contradicting evidence and clues.

That is not a bad thing. I know from doing graphic design, user interface certification and even teaching that you must turn off some details to see others. You have to prioritize information. But I suspect that this limits true predictive abilities.

It's one of the reasons I'm so in awe of Michael Barone. But he still misses big stuff!

Remember how the Romans tried to predict the future or make a major decision...chicken entrails.....Alas we can't eat George Gallop...so who's to say we've progressed.

Ha! But if the Mayans are right then we're all going to be eating crow. ;)

Someone has been spending waaaay to much time listening to Art Bell.

I actually think Art Bell is a nut. But that Mayan thing is a great pop culture meme these days and I didn't want to be left out of the "using the meme as a punchline" cool kids club. Ha!

@Valin

Megyn Kelly Focus Group Explodes Over Candy Crowley’s Debate Moderation

Scroll down for vid.

What our "good friends" on the left apparently don't understand is the word...Moderator.

Candy Crowley’s Debate Moderation Exemplifies Why Americans Do Not Trust Their Media

I am in need of your help...could some kind soul please point out where Candy corrected Obama when he...well lied? Caused I missed that part of the debate.

Megyn Kelly Focus Group Explodes Over Candy Crowley's Debate Moderation

Scroll down for vid.

What our "good friends" on the left apparently don't understand is the word...Moderator.

Candy Crowley's Debate Moderation Exemplifies Why Americans Do Not Trust Their Media

I am in need of your help...could some kind soul please point out where Candy corrected Obama when he...well lied? Caused I missed that part of the debate.

Yeah, I missed that part, too.

• Like 1

Desperate Ambush Attempt by Obama Fails in New York

October 17, 2012 | Filed under 2012 Presidential Race,Barack Obama | Posted by DJ Drummond

As expected, the media is casting the Second Presidential Debate as a win for Barack Obama. This is no surprise, not only due to the known bias in broadcast media, but also to keeping the drama alive in the election race. Anyone saying Romney won Tuesday’s debate is essentially saying the election is over. There’s a lot of advertising money to be made or lost on the question of when and how the election is decided, so two losses into the debate series, the media was nearly as desperate for an Obama win as Mister Obama himself. In addition to the media environment, the location and structure of the second debate was heavily weighted in Obama’s favor. While ostensibly designed to provide a forum for ‘undecided’ voters to ask questions from candidates in an open ‘Town Hall’ forum, the facts tell a different story – the location was in New York, a heavily pro-Democrat state, the moderator stated before the debate that she would not agree to the written format for the debate as negotiated by both candidates in advance, the moderator would know all the questions in advance and would select which questions would be asked and when and by whom, and would be in control of how much time each candidate would have to speak, and when.

In the actual debate, the moderator’s bias was immediately evident, as she allowed Mister Obama additional time, refused to allow Mister Romney the opportunity to counter false claims by Mister Obama, failed to apply follow-up questions evenly, and overall showed an Scissors-32x32.png

http://wizbangblog.com/2012/10/17/desperate-ambush-attempt-by-obama-fails-in-new-york/

Megyn Kelly Focus Group Explodes Over Candy Crowley's Debate Moderation

Scroll down for vid.

Candy Crowley's Debate Moderation Exemplifies Why Americans Do Not Trust Their Media

Yeah, I missed that part, too.

Darn! I'm sure it must have happened...otherwise I might be forced to suspect left wing bias in the media....and we all know that's just crazy talk.

Debate comments.....pretty interesting:

http://blog.heritage.org/2012/10/16/watch-with-heritage-experts-live-blog/

Scissors-32x32.png

Why Federally Funding Planned Parenthood Is a Bad Idea

Federal funding for Planned Parenthood has long been under debate, as the organization continues to see surpluses while the country sinks deeper into debt. Unlike the hard economic times faced by American families, Planned Parenthood has ridden the waves of taxpayer funding to millions of dollars in annual surpluses. In 2009-2010 (the latest year for which data is available), Planned Parenthood had a budget in excess of $1 billion, with over $18 million in profit. Yet, the non-profit organization received over $350 million in taxpayer funding in 2009 and kept the title of America’s largest abortion provider, performing over 300,000 abortion procedures.

There has been longstanding consensus that federal taxpayer dollars should not be used to fund abortions. As the country faces a burgeoning national deficit, policymakers should question the necessity of supporting a financially self-sufficient organization–especially one exposed as willing to be complicit in illegal sex trafficking of minor girls. Policymakers should end taxpayer funding of Planned Parenthood and make current prohibitions on federal funding of abortion (like the Hyde amendment) permanent.

– Sarah Torre

Scissors-32x32.png

iOTW debate comment:

mkultra

October 17th, 2012

I blame President Jarrett for sending her teleprompter puppet to the debate instead of coming herself.

• Like 2

MoveOn(one of my sister's favorites) is pushing this? Tagg was only putting in to words what a bunch of people were feeling, and we are not one of Romney's children. ( We are ALL however all Obama's childrentongue.png )

MoveOn(one of my sister's favorites) is pushing this? Tagg was only putting in to words what a bunch of people were feeling, and we are not one of Romney's children. ( We are ALL however all Obama's childrentongue.png )

I demand parental emancipation!