J. Rufus Fears, three-time professor-of-the-year, dies at 67

Valin

j-rufus-fears-three-time-professor-year-dies-67The Oklahoma Daily :

Chase Cook

October 7, 2012

Three-time student-selected OU Professor of the Year J. Rufus Fears died Saturday, according to a press release. He was 67. Fears was well known for his classes Freedom in Rome and the Freedom in Greece, which were two of the most popular courses on campus, according to the press release. The cause of Fears’ death was not given.

“Rufus Fears was one of the greatest teachers in the history of our state,” OU President David Boren said in a statement. “His death is not only a great loss to the university but to the future generations of students who will be deprived of learning from him in the classroom ... Our hearts go out to his wife, Charlene, and their children.”

Fears contributed to other organizations outside of OU’s classroom. He wrote blog posts for Bigthink.com and posted videos and podcasts on his blog Drfears.com.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6POR2sPL0c

The World has lost a great fighter for freedom...and I have lost a hero.

my oldest daughter took one of his classes in the late 90s

OK I am officially jealous.

I've never met him, but he has influenced my thinking for some time. If you can get a hold of the Teaching Co. couses I highly recommend them.

He makes you think...and that's a dangerous thing.

yep, thinking can be dangerous, daughter called this morning and said his class was probably the best she had, too bad we don't have more like him

yep, thinking can be dangerous, daughter called this morning and said his class was probably the best she had, too bad we don't have more like him

The problem is finding them, not that they aren't out there.

Dr. Fears spoke at a conference I attended several years ago. He was an amazingly astute individual. I became a fan of his blog not long ago. One, "Why We Refuse To Learn From History" should be a mandatory read for every citizen.

Dr. Fears spoke at a conference I attended several years ago. He was an amazingly astute individual. I became a fan of his blog not long ago. One, "Why We Refuse To Learn From History" should be a mandatory read for every citizen.

You DO NOT want to get me started on that!!!! wallbash.gif