Catholic church embarrassed by gay priests revelations

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
catholic-church-gay-priests-exposed
UK Guardian:

The Catholic church, already reeling from a string of clerical sex abuse scandals, was last night facing new embarrassment after an Italian magazine published an investigation into what it termed the double life of gay priests in Rome.

Using hidden cameras, the weekly Panorama, owned by Italy's prime minister, Silvio Berlusconi, captured priests visiting gay clubs and bars and having sex. The Vatican does not condemn homosexuals, but it teaches that gay sex is "intrinsically disordered". In one of his earliest moves, pope Benedict barred actively gay men from studying for the priesthood.

The diocese of Rome lashed out at the prime minister's magazine, saying its aim was "to create scandal [and] defame all priests". But it also urged gay clerics to leave both the closet and the priesthood.

It said, "Consistency would require that they come into the open", but that they "ought not to have become priests".

The semi-official papal daily, L'Osservatore Romano, made no reference to the affair. Vatican Radio reported it briefly.

One priest, a Frenchman in his 30s identified as Father Paul, attended a party at which there were two male prostitutes then said Mass the following morning before driving them to the airport, Panorama reported. A photo on its website claimed to show the priest in his dog collar but without his trousers with a gay man who acted as decoy for the magazine. In other shots, priests were shown apparently kissing Panorama's collaborator.

A member of the clergy quoted by the magazine put the proportion of gay priests in the Italian capital at "98%". The Rome diocese insisted the vast majority of priests in the city were "models of morality for all", while adding that the number of gay clergyman was "small, but not to be written off as isolated cases". A review eight years ago of research on the American church concluded that between a quarter and a half of seminarians and priests there were homosexual.

A former Italian MP and gay activist, Franco Grillini, said: "If all the gays in the Catholic church were to leave it at once – something we would very much like – they would cause it serious operational problems."

Another well-known spokesman for the gay community, Aurelio Mancuso, condemned Panorama's investigation as a "horrible political and cultural operation", but agreed that if priests in Rome were to follow the advice given to them in yesterday's statement, it would "paralyse" the diocese.

In March, the pope's own household was rocked by scandal when court documents revealed a Vatican chorister had procured male prostitutes for a papal gentleman-in-waiting.
________

The church is teh gay? :o

SrWoodchuck

As a Catholic for 57 years, I find the article sad and in keeping with some people's need to debase & diminish the Church, that has provided so much of the science, literature, art, culture & things we take for granted, during the dark ages of human history.

I have never met finer & more caring human beings than the priests that I have known in my life.

I have no frame of reference for the priesthood outside of America, but do not doubt that things like this exist here and in Europe.

Think about the vow of chastity for any human being that is naturally inclined toward heterosexuality or homosexuality. I could never have kept those vows, but greatly admire those men that do keep them. They are also the ones that have to endure the shame that these revelations incur.

As I've pointed out before on this site, when posts like this appear.....the Catholic Church is no better or worse than the population in which it resides, or in reference to other faiths.

A former Italian MP and gay activist, Franco Grillini, said: "If all the gays in the Catholic church were to leave it at once – something we would very much like – they would cause it serious operational problems."

And the Church would survive.

People really need to learn some history "Rodrigo Borgia" aka Pope Alexander VI.

SrWoodchuck

And the Church would survive.

People really need to learn some history "Rodrigo Borgia" aka Pope Alexander VI.

shoutValin! Thanks for posting.

Yes, there were the "Bad Popes" [ I've read the books on good & bad] and the papacy at times was more about politics, power & greed. Just as we've had good & bad Presidents & are now stuck with a monster.

The Church did survive them, and it will survive this latest expose on it's failings & proof of humanity; in it's all-too-human priests. I am just noting that the Church is one of many institutions that must be broken and powerless, if a secular "One World Government" is to have a chance of succeeding. Judeo-Christian principles are being hammered down & the new religion of special interest Mammon, erected in it's place.

The Vatican does not condemn homosexuals, but it teaches that gay sex is "intrinsically disordered". In one of his earliest moves, pope Benedict barred actively gay men from studying for the priesthood.

I don't think that it is a matter of "gay sex". Catholic priests take an oath of celibacy, ALL forms of venerial pursuits are prohibited, even masturbation, regardless of gender orientation. I am surprised and dissapointed that this point was not addressed in the article.

One of the largest Catholic churches in my town has a homosexual priest. All of my family that are Catholic go there and it is not a secret. The computer company I work for has done service on the church's computers and have found gay p0rn on at least two of them.

And I am embarrassed that Obama is our pResident.

On the serious side, shoutSrWoodChuck's post says it all:

"As I've pointed out before on this site, when posts like this appear.....the Catholic Church is no better or worse than the population in which it resides, or in reference to other faiths."

In fact, the Bible preceded that:

Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.

There are some vicious two-faced groups in the world. They come in all stripes and colors. They come from all walks of life and occupy various stations. They all have special perversions: some attack only Catholics, others only Mormons, others only single males, others only blacks, others only women, and some only a certain nationality.

Each member violates that Biblical admonition.

SrWoodchuck
The Vatican does not condemn homosexuals, but it teaches that gay sex is "intrinsically disordered". In one of his earliest moves, pope Benedict barred actively gay men from studying for the priesthood.

I don't think that it is a matter of "gay sex". Catholic priests take an oath of celibacy, ALL forms of venerial pursuits are prohibited, even masturbation, regardless of gender orientation. I am surprised and dissapointed that this point was not addressed in the article.

shoutArgyle58!

Father Guido Sarducci proposed that we are all given a heavenly account and from it, in relation to their seriousness, our sins are billed. Hitting someone might cost $ 20.00, and armed robbery maybe $ 2,500.00, killing maybe $ 10,000.00, and masturbation......maybe 25 cents.

When we appear before God to "pay for our sins" the ledger is brought out & the deductions begin: $ -2.00 lying to your mother, $ -3.50 for that bad word that begins with "F" times 315, mastubation= -$ .25, -$ .25, -$ .25, -$ .25, -$ .25, -$ .25, -$ .25.......

After you deduct & pay for your sins, if there's anything left......you get into heaven!

Father Sarducci's greatest fear was that he would be just 25 cents short.