RNC treasurer: committee hid debt

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
40042.html
Politico:

Republican National Committee Treasurer Randy Pullen has submitted financial disclosure reports to reflect nearly $2 million in debts that he asserted had been hidden from committee officials – the latest in a series of internal problems that many Republicans feel could undermine the party’s chances of big gains in the November election.

Pullen’s action is significant because it comes just months after RNC chairman Michael Steele attempted to deal with some widely publicized fundraising controversies at the committee by firing much of his staff and bringing in a team charged with imposing more discipline in the RNC’s operations.

Now, Republican circles once again are swirling with rumors about possible audits and a new round of firings just before the election season is about to begin in earnest.

The RNC on Wednesday issued a rare joint statement by its two top attorneys, Tom Josefiak and Michael Toner, blaming the tardy payments in part on internal efforts to streamline and improve the system.

“With the arrival of a new chief of staff and financial director several months ago, the RNC began a thorough review of invoices and contracts to ensure the legitimacy of billings, the extent of services provided in connection with those billings and the overall fiscal discipline of the committee,” the attorneys said.

“Also at the direction of Chairman Steele, the RNC has conducted a thorough internal procedures review, which has included a careful review of invoices received and paid to further ensure that the RNC’s monthly FEC reports are as comprehensive and accurate as possible,” they added.

Pullen, who also amended the committee’s May filing to show that the RNC was carrying more than $3 million in unreported debt in April, said improvements have been made at the committee to ensure RNC board members are kept up-to-date. The committee’s undisclosed debt was first reported by the Washington Times.

“There was a time when it was difficult to get information. Procedures are being put in place this month to make sure things are captured in a timely way,” Pullen said in an interview with POLITICO.

But Pullen, who also is the Arizona Republican Party chairman, said the committee’s financial strength remains a concern. “Fundraising has been very difficult,” he said, adding that the recession has made it even more so. “Everybody is aware of that and everybody has concerns.”
________

Leave it to the Republican leadership to repeatedly shoot themselves in the foot. :wallbash:

Somehow I see this as a positive. Glad it is happening now and not during the election. It is good that audits happen as well as restructuring.

...and I'm not what you would call an optimist.

pollyannaish

Somehow I see this as a positive. Glad it is happening now and not during the election. It is good that audits happen as well as restructuring.

...and I'm not what you would call an optimist.

:lmfao:

(It's so good to see you returning to your normal, spunky self!)

pollyannaish

Why is Steele still in charge?

Sigh. I have my guesses. I like Steele. I just don't think this is the right job for him.

clearvision

Another headline has it up to 7M debt. The media will have a frenzy even if nothing illegal.

Leave it to the Republican leadership to repeatedly shoot themselves in the foot.

My exact thoughts when I read the headline.

Leave it to the Republican leadership to repeatedly shoot themselves in the foot.

My exact thoughts when I read the headline.

Do you think the general public gives a damn? This seems so 'inside the Beltway' stuff that it only interests the political class. Is broadcast TV making a big deal of this?

SrWoodchuck

shoutWVR!

I think it's back-biting in the Republican upper echelons. Many people want Steele out, want to embarrass him for his profligate spending, since taking the reins; and do it by showing his incompetence. In that, he doesn't seem to need anyone's help. [and I say that, liking him]