Police: Approximately 20 dead inside Florida nightclub after mass shooting

Valin

orlando-nightclub-shootingCNN:

Ashley Fantz and Faith Karimi,

Sun June 12, 2016

Orlando, Florida (CNN)Approximately 20 people are dead inside Pulse nightclub, Orlando Police Chief John Mina said Sunday morning, just hours after a shooter opened fire in the club. At least 42 people have been transported for medical treatment, he said.

Police have shot and killed the gunman, Mina told reporters.

"It's appears he was organized and well-prepared," the chief said, adding that the shooter had an assault-type weapon, a handgun and "some type of (other) device on him."

Orlando authorities said they consider the violence an act of domestic terror. The FBI is involved.

The shooting began around 2 a.m., and an officer responded, Mina said. The officer engaged in a shootout outside the club, after which the gunman ran into the club.

"That turned into a hostage situation," Mina said. Authorities were getting calls from people inside the club but away from the gunman, the chief said.

(Snip)

ABC NEWS: Shooting at Orlando Nightclub a 'Domestic Terror Incident,' Approximately 20 Dead, Officials Say
David Caplan
Jun 12, 2016

A shooting at an Orlando nightclub early Sunday morning has been described as a "domestic terror incident" with at least 20 fatalities and at least 42 wounded, hospitalized individuals, officials said.

At a press conference on Sunday at 7 a.m., FBI assistant agent in charge of the agency's Tampa division Ron Hopper was asked if the shooter, who was shot and killed by police, had ties to Jihadist terror groups. "At this time we're looking at all angles right now." the official said. "We do have suggestions that that individual may have leanings towards that, that particular ideology. But right now we can’t say definitively so we’re still running everything around”

The FBI also said the shooter "was organized and well-prepared," adding "he is not from this area."

(Snip)

Pulse more than 'just another gay club'
Kim Hjelmgaard, USA TODAY
June 12, 2016

One of the owners of the gay nightclub where multiple people were shot early Sunday in Orlando started the club to promote awareness about the area's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community. Her brother died from AIDS.

Barbara Poma opened Pulse on Orange Avenue in Orlando with her friend and co-founder Ron Legler in 2004. It hosts nightly themed performances as well as a monthly program of LGBT-related educational events.

Pulse refers to itself as "not just another gay club." Saturday night was Latin night.

(Snip)

Omar Mateen ID’d as Pulse Gay Club Killer in Orlando
A U.S. citizen born to Afghan immigrant parents has been reportedly named by law enforcement as the man who killed 20 and took others hostage last night.
Justin Miller
06.12.16 8:46 AM ET

Omar Mateen of Port Saint Luice, Florida has been identified as the gunman who killed 20 people at a Orlando nightclub, CBS News, the Washington Post, and NBC News report, citing law enforcement officials. Mateen is a U.S. citizen; his parents are from Afghanistan, CBS News reports. FBI Agent Ron Hopper told reporters Mateen may have leanings towards Islamic extremism.

Mateen was armed with an assault rifle, a handgun, and what was feared to be an improvised explosive device. Mateen entered Pulse club around 2 a.m. Sunday morning and began shooting. After most of the 320 people there escaped, Mateen took hostages from a group that was hiding in a bathroom. Shortly before 6 a.m., a SWAT unit breached the club and engaged Mateen in what's being called a protracted gun battle. Mateen was killed.

FYI

DU

onehandle (49,619 posts)

83. Time to crack down on guns. Register all guns and guns owners. Require automobile level insurance.

Create public databases to see how dangerous your neighbors are.

No conflict with the 2nd Amendment there.

Response to onehandle (Reply #83)

Sun Jun 12, 2016, 09:29 AM Angel Martin (694 posts)

89. I know, we could copy the gun laws of France.

That will eliminate attacks by fanatics on concerts and clubs... oh, wait

clearvision

Some news outlets seem to want to make it a gay crime only and that his religion has nothing to do with it. I guess dad said he saw two guys kissing a few days ago and was enraged.

I don't understand how he had a gun in a nightclub as that is illegal in Florida.

• Like 1

pollyannaish

What's interesting is the rush to say this is a hate crime against the gay community which seems to me to be obvious. But I am surprised at how defensive they are of the Muslim community in the process. It would seem to me that if it was a Christian who did this it would not be seen as an immaterial fact. I am really confused by the inconsistency.

clearvision

What's interesting is the rush to say this is a hate crime against the gay community which seems to me to be obvious. But I am surprised at how defensive they are of the Muslim community in the process. It would seem to me that if it was a Christian who did this it would not be seen as an immaterial fact. I am really confused by the inconsistency.

They had an imam at the press conference calling for no rush to judgement.

Some news outlets seem to want to make it a gay crime only and that his religion has nothing to do with it. I guess dad said he saw two guys kissing a few days ago and was enraged.

I don't understand how he had a gun in a nightclub as that is illegal in Florida.

It's A Mystery! biggrin.png

They had an imam at the press conference calling for no rush to judgement.

And therein lies the problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtmUtfT3MF8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvBlmqLTaKc

Draggingtree
Dan Patrick Criticized for Tweet After Orlando Gay Club Shooting

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick drew outrage Sunday morning for social media posts that said "man reaps what he sows" hours after a mass shooting at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Fla. On Facebook and Twitter, Patrick shared a graphic with a Bible verse that reads: "Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows." A spokesman reportedly said the posts were pre-scheduled.

Scissors-32x32.png

Draggingtree
FBI had previously investigated Omar Mateen, shooter at Orlando club

Daily Beast

June 12, 201

Omar-Mateen-725x375.jpg

Omar Mateen of Port Saint Lucie, Florida, who has been identified as the gunman who killed 53 people at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida. The attack is the deadliest mass shooting in modern American history, with more than 100 people shot. Mateen came to the attention of federal authorities twice prior to being identified as the gunman in the Orlando nightclub mass shooting, a senior law enforcement source told The Daily Beast.

The source reports that Mateen became a person of interest in 2013 and again in 2014. The Federal Bureau of Investigation at one point opened an investigation of him, but subsequently closed the case when it produced nothing that appeared to warrant further investigation.

“He’s a known quantity,” the source said. “He’s been on the radar before.”

Continue reading Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://libertyunyielding.com/2016/06/12/fbi-previously-investigated-omar-mateen-shooter-orlando-club/

Image via My Space

clearvision

From NBC News

The gunman who opened fire at a gay Florida nightclub early Sunday, shooting over 100 people, had called 911 moments before to pledge allegiance to the leader of ISIS, law enforcement sources told NBC News.

Also supposedly vehicle in CA found with guns and "explosive" material near a gay festival

Santa Monica Police Arrest Man With Explosives, Guns Going to L.A. Pride (Report)

Source is somewhat sketchy though.

From NBC News

The gunman who opened fire at a gay Florida nightclub early Sunday, shooting over 100 people, had called 911 moments before to pledge allegiance to the leader of ISIS, law enforcement sources told NBC News.

Also supposedly vehicle in CA found with guns and "explosive" material near a gay festival

Santa Monica Police Arrest Man With Explosives, Guns Going to L.A. Pride (Report)

Source is somewhat sketchy though.

Terrorism isn't just large 9-11 style attacks. One bee sting is not harmful...100 though.....

“He was not a stable person”: Ex-wife of Orlando killer says he beat her

“He was not a stable person,” said the ex-wife who spoke on condition of anonymity because the feared for her safety in the wake of the mass shooting. “He beat me. He would just come home and start beating me up because the laundry wasn’t finished or something like that.”…

Mateen’s ex-wife said she was having a difficult time when she first met him and decided to move to Florida to be with him. The two married in March 2009 and moved into a 2-bedroom condominium in Fort Pierce, Fla., that Mateen’s family owned.

“He seemed like a normal human being,” she said, adding that he wasn’t very religious and worked out at the gym out often. She said in the few months they were married he gave no signs of having fallen under the sway of radical Islam. She said he owned a small-caliber handgun and worked as a guard at a nearby facility for juvenile delinquents.

Washington Post

Draggingtree

June 12, 2016

Donald Trump's and Ted Cruz's Statements on The Orlando Terrorist Attack [CBD] —Open Blogger

This is being discussed in the open thread below, but it is worth a thread of its own.

H/T to commenters Joe Hallenbeck and Jay Guevara

Our nation is at war. From 9/11 to the Boston Marathon, from Fort Hood to Chattanooga, from San Bernardino to last night's horrific attack in Orlando, radical Islamic terrorism has declared jihad on America. Early reports indicate the Orlando terrorist had pledged his allegiance to ISIS, and he had previously been investigated by the FBI. And yet, as with the prior attacks, we were not able to act to stop this act of vicious terrorism that has now murdered 50 and injured more than 50 others.

Our hearts go out to those killed and wounded last night. Our prayers are with their families, and with all their grieving loved ones.

Continue reading

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/364026.php#364026

And here is Donald Trumps statement....

Last night, our nation was attacked by a radical Islamic terrorist. It was the worst terrorist attack on our soil since 9/11, and the second of its kind in 6 months. My deepest sympathy and support goes out to the victims, the wounded, and their families.

In his remarks today, President Obama disgracefully refused to even say the words 'Radical Islam'. For that reason alone, he should step down. If Hillary Clinton, after this attack, still cannot say the two words 'Radical Islam' she should get out of this race for the Presidency.

If we do not get tough and smart real fast, we are not going to have a country anymore. Because our leaders are weak, I said this was going to happen – and it is only going to get worse. I am trying to save lives and prevent the next terrorist attack. We can't afford to be politically correct anymore.

The terrorist, Omar Mir Saddique Mateen, is the son of an immigrant from Afghanistan who openly published his support for the Afghanistani Taliban and even tried to run for President of Afghanistan.Scissors-32x32.png