Ted Cruz Hammers Trump Over North Carolina "Bathroom Law"

Draggingtree

Draggingtree
cruz-hammers-trump-over-bathroom-lawTexas Tribune: Ted Cruz Hammers Trump Over North Carolina "Bathroom Law"

by Abby Livingston / April 21, 2016

FREDERICK, Md. - U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz brushed off any assumptions Thursday that his Republican rival, Donald Trump, has closed the deal on the GOP nomination and instead went after the real estate mogul on the hot-button issue of transgender rights.

In a speech in a conservative region of Maryland, Cruz honed in on Trump's comments earlier that morning on The Today Show related to a North Carolina state law that says individuals must use the public restroom that corresponds with one’s birth certificate gender. Many businesses and cultural icons have boycotted the Tarheel State in protest.

Trump argued Thursday morning for the previous status quo there, in order to avoid an economic backlash.

"There have been very few complaints the way it is," Trump told The Today Show. "People go, they use the bathroom that they feel is appropriate, there has been so little trouble."

Hours later in Maryland, Cruz gave his response: “Let me ask you, have we gone stark raving nuts?” Scissors-32x32.png

• Like 1

clearvision

This is what sinks conservatives. Why argue about bathroom "identity" at the Presidential level. If you are worried about mixing it up in the bathroom there is far more risk to young boys from adult pervert males than from adult pervert males dressing as women to get at young girls. You don't let young kids go into bathrooms of either gender without a safe adult. This is once again a bunch of crap being stirred up to take the focus off of our real issues.

• Like 3

righteousmomma

Clearvision, I don't believe arguing about bathroom identity is sinking conservatives at the Presidential level. It is the press and media's sensationalism of the law - a mixture of assumptions and half truths. The only presidential candidate who volunteered his opinion is Donald Trump. (I agree with you and your statement that the "bunch of crap being stirred up to take the focus off is our real issues" True but for NC its also a matter of losing millions of dollars and the ire of the press while standing on principles and common sense)

I noticed in Trump's full quote he was most concerned about the $$$$ lost to NC by companies canceling their various conventions and events. His responses also spoke to the liberal and establishment view of being politically correct.

This though gives me a good chance to vent.

This is a states rights deal not the federal government - ie a president's business. Our governor has made it clear that he does not believe the government at state or federal level should tell private corporations how to run their restroom facilities. However it is his business what happens in our state wide school system from elementary through college levels. The public school system has about 2 000,000 students. The state college system probably is close to 300,000.

A typical misrepresentation of this law can be found in publications like this Hollywood one:

"What is wrong with legislators and the governors of North Carolina, Tennessee, Mississippi, Missouri and more states who are actively passing discriminatory laws against transgender people? Bigotry needs to stop.

Transgender people deserve equal rights, just like ever other American citizen, and the new anti-LGBT law in North Carolina deprives them of their basic rights and must be repealed. Imagine singling out a group of people — transgenders — who have already coped with the emotional upheaval of recognizing that their gender identity is not the same as their biological sex — then subjecting them to prejudice."

The above article lauds those like Caitlyn Jenner and a couple other well known transgenders who have had sex changes performed to make them into their gender identity image. Then it soon goes into the "bigotry" and "prejudice" all transgender people face because of their "gender identity". We can assume that just because a person thinks he is a woman that does not make him one. (But it might imply that he needs some mental help with his delusion. Oh, I know that is politically incorrect to say but common sense overrules)

Then there are articles like:

Washington (CNN)North Carolina's governor on Wednesday signed a controversial bill blocking cities from allowing transgender individuals to use public bathrooms for the sex they identify as -- as well as restricting cities from passing nondiscrimination laws more broadly.

Frankly if companies like William Sonoma want to boycott or censor us I say - go for it. You need us , your customers, a lot more than we need your overpriced goods. If companies like Target want to go to gender free restrooms - go for it. That is your right as a private company which is the governor's point.

And if Cirque Soleil is boycotting coming here because they "oppose discrimination in any form" then that just reveals how stupidly ignorant and unjust they are in being able to distinguish biological differences and moral rights and how prejudice toward us who disagree.

Now about the bill itself and some truths and half truths often repeated:

"House Bill 2, the Public Facilities Privacy & Security Act, puts in place a statewide policy that bans individuals from using public bathrooms that do not correspond to their biological sex."

No, it bans the government from forcing all businesses and arenas to go gender free. Private businesses can set their own rules.

"Cities and counties may not enact local policies concerning discrimination or minimum wages that apply to private businesses. Whether they can enact stronger discrimination policies for their own employees is still unclear"

"The anti-discrimination policy for employment does not include sexual orientation or gender identity".

This has been construed into meaning businesses may discriminate against gay or transgender employees.

"The anti-discrimination policy for service in public accommodations also does not include protections for sexual orientation or gender identity"

It also does not exclude.

The next two the governor wants to repeal and should -

"People fired for any discriminatory reason – including race, religion, disability and biological sex – no longer may file a lawsuit in state courts

People denied service for any discriminatory reason – including race, religion, disability and biological sex – no longer may sue in state courts"

Which reminds me to say that Mississippi's controversial law is not the same as NC's. Mississippi's is based on freedom of religious conscience of the private business or individual.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent. In closing I will quote Rush from yesterday:

"Right versus wrong, the left has been clever in eliminating that, right versus wrong, as a determinant in behavior. And what it's been replaced by is us versus them. Us versus them. And the "us" are the oppressed, grievance-filled minorities who feel like they have been denied liberty, freedom, whatever they think they've been denied by these evil majorities. We are the villain. And that's the battle now."

"Ladies and gentlemen, I must apologize. I have to admit a total misunderstanding of the LGBT bathroom issue. You know what I thought it was? I thought the people in North Carolina and Georgia were writing these laws to protect women from predatory males. I thought the people demanding to be able to use these bathrooms were predatory men who wanted to have easy access to women and children in bathrooms.

Apparently that's not what this is about. It's about signs on the door. I misunderstood. I thought it was about protecting women and children from predatory males. So forgive me. And I've now also learned that in order to win people to our side, we have to abandon every position we've got."

"... I assume that's what you think Trump is doing by essentially advocating for the LGBT bathroom issue in North Carolina and Georgia that he's simply accommodating people wanting their votes rather than stand up for what he might think's right or wrong. He's sacrificing that in order to attract voters.

I've had this call on ethanol. I've had this call on gay marriage. I have had this call on practically every issue that has resulted in the culture war being lost. And this is how it happens. People are urged to be quiet. Don't say what you really think about it. This is gonna hurt us, don't say what you really think. It's not worth it.

We're just talking about signs on bathroom doors here. Don't make a big deal about it."

• Like 4

Libs in general are in charge.... Lib activists, DEM political leaders, and the MSM.

They create a situation "out of whole cloth" in an effort to create a spark that will turn into an inferno. They put their finger into the air to see what direction the wind is blowing to inflict the maximum damage to their intended target.

The whole NC "Bathroom" thing was started by some DEM activist on the Charlotte city council. There was no problem that they needed to solve. There was no problem that they needed to pass a law/ordinance to remedy. This was a publicity action designed to do what it did.... If it failed, it was intended to set the stage to ramp to the next level until they achieved the desired results.

So now the liberal NC news covers nothing beside this when the world is falling apart around us all. The top headline here (local news media) before Prince croaked yesterday was that the lead singer of Pearl Jam does not like HB2 bill.

Just hope that there is no new law passed that prescribes how you are required to share your shower or potty time.

BTW... the lib media set up the presidential argument by making bathrooms the top of their questioning for GOP candidates. Then after they fall for it... the foolishness begins.

(Again... the activists and media then morph this into not a "Transexual" identity bathroom issue.... but a LGBTTQQIAAP (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, transsexual, queer, questioning, intersex, asexual, ally, pansexual) human rights issue. Go figure. )

• Like 3

Serious question related to the subject of HB2 etc....

What determines someone being "Transgender" under these or any other guidelines... be it legal, contractual, or just socially accepted?

Does the individual need to have the surgical procedure to either add or subtract identifying parts? Or does it require taking some pills or shots? Or does someone need to go through a legal process to change records? Or is it just saying privately or publicly what you feel like on any particular day? And does that change if you change your mind the next day?

And more importantly does making any of the above a "prerequisite" take away your rights to choose?

And why does this stop with a declaration of sexual identity? Why not age? Why not national citizenship? Why not race? Why not species? If I feel someway, how can I be proven wrong? All of that is such medieval "black and white" thinking.

righteousmomma

NCT, I've been thinking about your:

"And more importantly does making any of the above a "prerequisite" take away your rights to choose?

And why does this stop with a declaration of sexual identity? Why not age? Why not national citizenship? Why not race? Why not species? If I feel someway, how can I be proven wrong? All of that is such medieval "black and white" thinking."

And the answer is "YES, our right to choose, to be an individual uniquely created, to practice good judgment and discernment, to think critically, to be logical and rational is the heart of it all. Once again shades of George Orwell.

Back when I was forced to read Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm at SMU I had no appreciation for his wisdom because I had no frame of reference with which to relate. It was a different world then and I was a different young woman.

Some of the quotes of his that were down right prophetic:

"So much of left-wing thought is a kind of playing with fire by people who don't even know that fire is hot."

"We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."

"In our age there is no such thing as 'keeping out of politics.' All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred and schizophrenia."

Have we not all heard: "Oh, I am not political" or "I don't get into politics" as though politics is a separate issue with no effect on their daily lives. (Recall Carolyn a few years agowink.png)

But this one gets me - "We of the sinking middle class may sink without further struggles into the working class where we belong, and probably when we get there it will not be so dreadful as we feared, for, after all, we have nothing to lose."

Only change some of the terminology and we have the result of "fairness" and a level playing field - collectivism of the masses while the intellectually elite prosper and rule.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Draggingtree

Ladies, Keeping Men Out of Your Bathroom is Jim Crow Style Discrimination

By Erick Erickson | May 10, 2016

Loretta Lynch, the nation’s Attorney General, has responded to a North Carolina lawsuit over its legislation insisting men use the men’s room by

Read More… Scissors-32x32.png

http://theresurgent.com/ladies-keeping-men-out-of-your-bathroom-is-jim-crow-style-discrimination/

Draggingtree
Begun, The Bathroom Wars Have

Posted on May 10, 2016 by The Political Hat

North Carolina has declared that men’s restrooms are for men, and women’s restrooms are for women. This would have elicited nothing more than a “well obviously” from people in the past. But we are experiencing “interesting times”, where “men” and “women” are defined not by objective biological reality, but by the “feelz” of a scant few who wish to force their “identities” on others… regardless of the cost. Needless to say, the outrage thatreal men are supposed to use the men’s room and not the ladies’ room has been palpable and hypocritical.

Virtue-signaling hypocrite Bruce Springsteen is one example of this insanity. He canceled a concert in North Carolina because men weren’t allowed into the ladies’ restroom. This was so beyond the pale for him, that he had to make a moral stand; this makes it clear that he thinks that prosecuting, in the most vicious way, Gay people is totes OK, since he was happy to play in Dubai where these things tend to happen! Scissors-32x32.png

http://politicalhat.com/2016/05/10/begun-the-bathroom-wars-have/

SrWoodchuck

Tralfamadorian's have 26 sexual identities & require a minimum of 13 to mate. Of course, they spend most of their time in the 4th dimension...so...that helps. They have never been known to argue with other sexual identities in the bathroom, but on Saturday night at the pool hall...

SrWoodchuck

To me, this is strictly a State's Rights issue & I'm proud of North Carolina for taking it to the pRez & the Department of Just-Us. Loretta Lynch is one inept functionary...with a limited & comic repertoire. Insanity is contagious. You get it from Progressives...and it's a fatal condition in Gubmint service, under Oblamer.

theo5.jpg

Edited by SrWoodchuck
  • Like 1