2016 GOP Nomination: Dark Horse Candidates To Watch

Valin

#more-136650Legal Insurrection:

Jay Caruso

Saturday, August 1, 2015

In the summer of 2011, the GOP candidate sitting on top of the polls was Texas Governor Rick Perry. By October of 2011, it was Herman Cain who was leading the polls with Mitt Romney in second. Rick Perry went into a freefall after his “Oops” moment at one of the what seemed like 1000 GOP debates.

Two candidates in the summer of 2011 were languishing at the bottom of the polls: Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich. Both of whom went on to win primary season races. Santorum won the Iowa caucuses, and Gingrich won the South Carolina primary.

As we head into the first GOP debate and into the fall when people will really start to pay attention to the race, it will be interesting to see where the polls start to move. For the last several weeks there have been several tiers of candidates according to the numbers:

• Top Tier

Donald Trump

Jeb Bush

Scott Walker

• Second Tier

Marco Rubio

Mike Huckabee

Rand Paul

Ben Carson

Ted Cruz

• Third Tier

Rick Perry

Chris Christie

John Kasich

Bobby Jindal

Rick Santorum

Carly Fiorina

George Pataki

It’s within that bottom tier where I think there may be 2-3 candidates who may be doing much better in the late fall than they are here in late summer.

(Snip)

@Valin - Of the three he mentions, Carly is the only one I agree. Although I like Rick Perry, he continues to fumble on interviews - although I must say GWB was not tip top in interviews either and he made it. He did not have the field to run against that there is now either. One thing that is annoying me already is all the canned answers. With todays all day news and the candidates getting so much exposure, I think people may be like me. Tired of candidates that read from a script constantly. That is one thing I like about Carly. I think that may be why Donald is making somewhat of a splash. He doesn't read from a script. That's what politicians do and people are tired of politicians. Most people don't follow day to day statements like we do and it will be a while before they discover that he too talks out of both sides of his mouthrolleyes.gif

• Like 2

I don't have time to troll the net for examples now. Have you actually watched an interview where they put him on the spot and asked tough questions??

I don't have time to troll the net for examples now. Have you actually watched an interview where they put him on the spot and asked tough questions??

Not Really.

Could you point me in a direction? That would be a good thing.

Not Really.

Well, don't remember them all. He had a Chris Wallace interview a couple of weeks ago and two CNN interviews recently.

Not Really.

Well, don't remember them all. He had a Chris Wallace interview a couple of weeks ago and two CNN interviews recently.

I think I posted this earlier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fKXBSZkrPI

Looking for the CNN interviews. There are clips/soundbytes, but I prefer the full interviews....less chance of spin....Not that anyone would ever spin, perish the thought! rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

@Valin

RICK PERRY GAFFES DOMINATE NEW HAMPSHIRE FORUM; FORMER TEXAS GOVERNOR STUMBLES ON IMMIGRATION

Gaffes reminiscent of former Texas Gov. Rick Perry’s infamous 2012 presidential debate “oops” moment dominated the New Hampshire forum of GOP candidates at Saint Anselm college in Manchester on Monday evening, perhaps even more prevalent in the room than the absence of frontrunner billionaire Donald Trump.

Right out of the gate, moderator Jack Heath noted that the two most important issues to voters surveyed before the forum were immigration and the economy—so he kicked off his line of questioning to Perry, the first candidate to face his questions, about immigration.

“Governor, what would your administration’s policy be toward illegal immigrants already in the U.S.,” Heath asked Perry.

“Well the real issue for us in our country today is what’s happening to us all across our great land and that is the cost that illegal immigration is having on this state,” Perry responded—not making it clear which “state” he was referring to, Texas, New Hampshire or some other state.

Perry then continued delivering an impassioned plan on how we would work to stop illegal immigration.Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/08/03/rick-perry-gaffes-dominate-new-hampshire-forum-former-texas-governor-stumbles-on-immigration/

@Valin

RICK PERRY GAFFES DOMINATE NEW HAMPSHIRE FORUM; FORMER TEXAS GOVERNOR STUMBLES ON IMMIGRATION

This is a Gaff and a Stumble? I guess it is according to Matthew Boyle. I don't see it. The wonderful thing about The Net is, 90% of these forums, speeches, town halls, etc etc are out there, and fairly easy to find. I prefer to actually watch/listen as opposed to what someone else tells me someone said or did.

My opinion (freely given and worth almost that much. I agree with Rick, until we get control of Illegal immigration, its a waste of time talking about legal immigration levels, and who we should allow to legally immigrate here. My knee jerk opinion is, if you want to come here legally and are willing to work...come on in.

PS More here at C-Span

Edited by Valin
PS

@Valin

Another take on this forum by Power Lines Paul Mirengoff

(Snip)

To be sure, it was not a challenging format. The candidates didn’t debate each other; they simply took turns fielding questions from a moderator. As often as not, they seemed not quite to answer the question asked, with no push back from the moderator.

But answering the question one wants to answer, and sounding good doing it, is a skill in its own right. I’d say that everyone present tonight sounded good.

(Snip)

The two candidates I was most interested in seeing were Rick Perry and Scott Walker. Perry because of the 2011 debacle; Walker because he’s a top tier candidate whom I haven’t observed in this kind of setting.

Perry was high energy; Walker was low key. Both did pretty well. But I’m still eager to see how they perform in a real debate.

(Snip)

• Like 1