Flashback April 2010: Obama Kills Bush Quarantine Rules From an April 2010 archives of the USA Today: Obama administration scraps quarantine regulatio

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

flashback-april-2010-obama-kills-bush-quarantine-rules:

From an April 2010 archives of the USA Today:

Obama administration scraps quarantine regulations

By Alison Young, USA TODAY | 4/1/2010

The Obama administration has quietly scrapped plans to enact sweeping new federal quarantine regulations that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention touted four years ago as critical to protecting Americans from dangerous diseases spread by travelers.

Sadly, this was not an April Fool’s joke.

The regulations, proposed in 2005 during the Bush administration amid fears of avian flu, would have given the federal government additional powers to detain sick airline passengers and those exposed to certain diseases. They also would have expanded requirements for airlines to report ill passengers to the CDC and mandated that airlines collect and maintain contact information for fliers in case they later needed to be traced as part of an investigation into an outbreak.

Scissors-32x32.png

Posted by Steve Gilbert on Thursday, October 2nd, 2014.

Draggingtree

October 02, 2014

Obama 2005: The Avian Flu Is Very Dangerous and It's Only A Matter of Time Before It Comes to America

In the last post, I suggested (without knowing) a contradiction between Obama's attitude towards outbreaks in 2005, as evidenced by his criticism of Bush on the issue, and his "quiet scrapping" of Bush-era rules about quarantines and testing.

I don't think there's a direct contradiction -- because now that I see what Obama was calling for, it's Classic Obama .

He wants more money, better "communication," more international cooperation.

The holy trinity -- more money, more talking, more study.

He calls this sort of stuff "decisive action." Scissors-32x32.png

And yet ebola's journey to the United States is somehow "unlikely"?

Here's video of a speech he gave on the Senate floor in 2005.

Video at the link, but here's the full text of his remarks, which I've excerpted.

Scissors-32x32.png

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/352220.php