Chicago-area high school plans to shoot blanks during shooting drill

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

chicago-area-high-school-plans-to-shoot-blanks-during-shooting-drillFox News:

A Chicago-area high school is under fire for a planned school shooting drill that will include someone shooting blanks in the hallway to simulate gunshots.

MyFoxChicago.com reports the "code red" drill at Cary-Grove High School will require teachers and staff to secure their rooms, draw the shades, and lock the doors. Police officers will then swarm the school, and someone will fire the blanks to mimic a shootout in the hallway.

The district says the drill is designed to prepare students to deal with a school shooting, and will help familiarize them with the sound of gunfire.

"Kids are able to hear it and know what it might sound like so they can react more quickly if a situation like that were to arise," spokesman Jeff Puma tells MyFoxChicago.com.

Some parents say though they recognize the importance of lockdown drills, the fake gunfire is taking it too far.

"I don't think it's necessary," parent Kelly Wright told MyFoxChicago.com. "I think they can hold a drill without doing that. I think there is going to be a lot of emotional trauma with the kids."

However, other students and parents say they appreciate the school's proactive approach to gun violence drills.

"I think it's good for all of us to know what it sounds like," freshman Becky Koch told MyFoxChicago.com. "If it happens, and we're in a situation, we know what to do and how to react."

________

"Hey, let's traumatize our kids!"