BLM rioter sentenced to federal prison for burning down Minneapolis shop after fire killed man

Valin

blm-rioter-sentenced-to-federal-prison-minneapolis-shop-fire-killed-man
The Post Millennial

"I was hoping to be another voice added to the cry for change...Though I don't stand by my actions, I stand by my reasons behind them," Lee said.

James Anthony

January 15, 2022

Black Lives Matter rioter Montez Terriel Lee Jr., of Rochester, New York, was sentenced Friday to 120 months in federal prison for his role in burning down a Minneapolis pawn shop during the destructive George Floyd riots in May 2020.

Judge Wilhelmina M. Wright, the judge presiding over the case who granted a variance from sentencing guidance which outlined 235 to 240 months, handed down Lee's prison sentence in US District Court in St. Paul.

(Snip)

Lee was not directly charged with Stewart's death. However, the man's death did factor into the prison sentence, Post Bulletin reported. In written arguments, prosecutors requested a 144-month sentence stating that "the Court's sentence must account for the fact that Mr. Lee's crime took Oscar Stewart's life."

Lee's legal counsel argued in written filings for an 88-month prison sentence, stating the lighter sentence would allow Lee to "have an additional chance at life; to be a father to provide for his community, and to become a law-abiding citizen once again." In court Friday morning, attorney Bruce Rivers said that Lee was "caught up in a mass protest against police violence." Rivers stated that Lee had checked to make sure no one was in the building before starting the fire.

(Snip)

He Didn't check good enough before burning a building down.

10 years for killing someone in an intentional act?  Probably be out in 4.

* yes I know he may have not known there was someone in the building, but if you burn down a building intentionally, you should get all that comes with it.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, clearvision said:

10 years for killing someone in an intentional act?  Probably be out in 4.

* yes I know he may have not known there was someone in the building, but if you burn down a building intentionally, you should get all that comes with it.

:snip:

"I was hoping to be another voice added to the cry for change. I wanted to be part of the solution instead of being part of the problem. Though I don't stand by my actions, I stand by my reasons behind them," Lee said.

:snip:

Sounds pretty un-apologetic to me.  Isn't lack of remorse supposed to be a considered factor in sentencing? 

• Like 2

On 1/16/2022 at 7:16 AM, SDwaters said:

Sounds pretty un-apologetic to me.  Isn't lack of remorse supposed to be a considered factor in sentencing? 

I don't know why you'd say that. :rolleyes:

Felony murder in a good cause

Lee is not a good citizen. At the time of the arson, he had a rap sheet with convictions for burglary, assault, violation of a no contact order, and theft of property. Indeed, Lee was under a sentence for the prior assault in Olmsted County (Rochester). He is that kind of guy.