Biden planning executive orders on police reform: report

Geee

biden-planning-executive-orders-on-police-reform-report
Fox News

The move is likely to coincide with Black History Month

President Joe Biden is reportedly planning to push his police reform agenda via an executive order as early as this month.

The executive actions are still being finalized, according to NBC News, but are expected to be rolled out at the start of Black History Month in February as the administration tries to achieve policy goals leading up to the president’s State of the Union address in March.

The House passed a sweeping police reform measure earlier this year in response to the death of George Floyd, but months of negotiations among a bipartisan group of senators failed to produce a bill.

"I still hope to sign into law a comprehensive and meaningful police reform bill that honors the name and memory of George Floyd, because we need legislation to ensure lasting and meaningful change," Biden said when the bill stalled in September. "But this moment demands action, and we cannot allow those who stand in the way of progress to prevent us from answering the call.  That is why my Administration has already taken important steps, with the Justice Department announcing new policies on chokeholds, no-knock warrants, and body cameras."

News of the executive actions comes at the conclusion of a difficult week for the president during which he suffered numerous setbacks.:snip:

Just now, Geee said:

The move is likely to coincide with Black History Month

I find that fact absolutely insulting and racist !

• Like 1

@Geee

"I still hope to sign into law a comprehensive and meaningful police reform bill that honors the name and memory of George Floyd,

Does he mean the drug abusing wannabe gang banger?

1. Lets see just what those reforms are. Could be a good thing.

2. Given we are talking Resident Joe Biden, and the new and improved Democratic party, I've got a Really Really bad feeling.

3. If #2 is correct this can only help the GOP

Meanwhile here in the Peoples Democratic Republic

Incredibly, Democrats Want to Go Softer On Crime

John Hinderaker

January 15, 2022

Across America, citizens are up in arms about rising violent crime. In my own state of Minnesota, polls show that crime is voters’ number one concern. And when they say they want the governor to focus on violent crime, they don’t mean that they want him to encourage more of it.

But liberals are untroubled by factors like public opinion, not to mention constitutional duty. Minnesota has a Sentencing Guidelines Commission that sets presumptive sentences for all crimes. Left-wing governor Tim Walz has stacked the commission with 8 of its 11 members, mostly liberal activists. One member of the commission, for example, is herself an ex-con and has argued that criminals should not be imprisoned lest they be “re-traumatized.”

While no one was watching, leftists on the Sentencing Guidelines Commission came up with a proposal to make Minnesota’s already-lenient sentencing guidelines even worse. The guidelines are set up as a grid, with severity of the crime on one axis and the defendant’s criminal history on the other. The leftists proposed to eliminate the points awarded for “status”–i.e., being on probation or on parole, or having escaped from custody–as a criminal history factor. That would have the effect of lessening the sentences of a vast number of criminals, with sex offenders benefiting particularly.

With no public scrutiny, the Commission voted 6-4 to move forward with the proposed change. Then followed a public comment period. There would not have been any perceptible number of public comments, except that someone in my organization learned that softening of the guidelines was in the works. We immediately set up a web page where concerned citizens could email the Commission, opposing the proposed change in these terms:

(Snip)