The Problem with "Left vs. Right"

Draggingtree

problem-left-vs-right
Mises Institute

The Problem with "Left vs. Right"

4 HOURS AGO MISES WIRE Gary Galles

As a libertarian, I have long objected to being characterized on a left-right political spectrum (as with studies of political affiliations that group libertarians with republicans or conservatives on the right). In response to inquiries about where I fit in that framework, over the years, I have taken to saying that my views were orthogonal (meaning at right angles or perpendicular) to the framework. Since almost no one knows what that word means, those I say it to are puzzled, and ask for clarification, which allows me to explain why I fit in neither category.

I had done that for years when I came across Leonard Read’s “Neither Left Nor Right,” in the January, 1956, issue of The Freeman. Long before I came to believe what I do, Read was way ahead of me, including a more complete view of the relevant history of left versus right and a more developed explanation than I had used. As a consequence, I think his views there merit remembering.

“Why, you are neither left nor right!” “Why, you are neither left nor right!” This observation, following a speech of mine,:snip: