‘The Fuse Has Been Blown,’ and the Doomsday Glacier Is Coming for Us All (WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!}

Valin

fuse-blown-doomsday-glacier-coming-140055846.html
Yahoo News/Rolling Stone

Jeff Goodell

Wed, December 29, 2021

One thing that’s hard to grasp about the climate crisis is that big changes can happen fast. In 2019, I was aboard the Nathaniel B. Palmer, a 308-foot-long scientific research vessel, cruising in front of the Thwaites Glacier in Antarctica. One day, we were sailing in clear seas in front of the glacier. The next day, we were surrounded by icebergs the size of aircraft carriers.

(Snip)

Given the ongoing war for American democracy and the deadly toll of the Covid pandemic, the loss of an ice shelf on a far-away continent populated by penguins might not seem to be big news. But in fact, the West Antarctic ice sheet is one of the most important tipping points in the Earth’s climate system. If Thwaites Glacier collapses, it opens the door for the rest of the West Antarctic ice sheet to slide into the sea. Globally, 250 million people live within three feet of high tide lines. Ten feet of sea level rise would be a world-bending catastrophe. It’s not only goodbye Miami, but goodbye to virtually every low-lying coastal city in the world.

But predicting the breakup of ice sheets and the implications for future sea level rise is fraught with uncertainty. Depending on various emissions scenarios in the latest Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report, we could have as little as one foot of sea level rise by the end of the century, or nearly six feet of sea level rise (of course, rising seas won’t stop in 2100, but that date has become a common benchmark). “The difference between those [models] is a lot of lives and money,” says Richard Alley, a glaciologist at Penn State University and one of the great ice scientists of our time. Alley adds: “The most likely place to generate [the worst scenario] is Thwaites.”

(Snip)

2c13d3fffd65a5b39544646e67fdafad

A newly discovered fissure in the Thwaites ice shelf. Scientists predict the shelf could crack like a car window in five years. - Credit: Erin Pettit

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Oh if I had a dollar for every time I've read something like this in the last 40+ years I'd be driving

lamborghini-huracan-spyder-1.jpg

Something like this.

• Like 1