'Go in peace': US church founded in 1800 holds last service

Geee

peace-us-church-founded-1800-holds-service-81945723
ABC News

BELLEFONTE, Pa. -- A Pennsylvania church with a 221-year history held its final service and is scheduled to close at the end of the year because of declining membership and attendance.

The First Presbyterian Church of Bellefonte, which is nearly as old as the borough itself, held the final scheduled service on Christmas Eve after having welcomed generations of families over the course of more than two centuries.

“There’s just such a love among this congregation. We’ve all known each other so long and we know each other’s foibles,” church elder Candace Dannaker told the Centre Daily Times. “I’ll miss our personality, our laughter and our joy in just being together. And, of course, the faith aspect of sharing that with other like-minded people.”

The church was established in 1800 by the same men who founded Bellefonte in 1795 at a time when there were only 16 states and counted among its members two former Pennsylvania governors. The church met at the courthouse for almost two decades and then in a stone edifice; the current structure was built shortly after the Civil War.:snip:

@Geee

The Comments provide our materialist friend to show us just how sophisticated and enlightened they are.

"ending the religious scam one corrupt church at a time."

"Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion.” - Edward Abbey

Religion is light years beyond sanity.

My Favorite

Yes they chopped down a forest of rare trees to build it Notre Dame. Approax. 10,000 I am told. 52 acres of trees that were cut down in the 12th century.
A double whammy, burning it as well and contributing to "Global Warming".
And now, dozens of 150-Year-Old Oak Trees have been felled to rebuild the destroyed spire at the Cathedral of Notre Dame. Around 1,000 oaks will be needed to restore the spire, which will be rebuilt to look as it did before the fire.
Goes to show the Church doesn't give 2 hoots about destroying the planet.

• Sad 1

@Geee

As you know I spend time on Youtube. Those comments are good examples of what I see from our atheist/materialist friends. It's not so much they are stupid, as they are ignorant. What is worse (IMO) is they have no interest/curiosity in finding out what the other side says, and why we say it. I think part of it is they want to be thought of as  sophisticated, enlightened, modern, and be in the Cool Club.

OTOH something I have noticed is, on anything like a level playing field in a debate/conversation Atheists get their asses handed to them. Atheism, it's a mile wide, 1/2 inch deep.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Valin said:

Atheism, it's a mile wide, 1/2 inch deep.

I've always thought it must be a lonely and depressing way to look at one's own existence.

• Like 1