Is McCarthy up to the job if the GOP wins the House next November?

Geee

editorial-is-mccarthy-up-to-the-job-if-the-gop-win
Washington Times

If your troops won’t follow, can you really be considered a leader? It’s a question the Republicans need to start asking themselves now that the polls are showing a GOP takeover of the U.S House of Representatives after the next election is highly likely.

The man thought most likely to be the next Speaker is California’s Kevin McCarthy, currently the House Minority Leader. He could have had the job once before, when former House Speaker John Boehner stepped down but, for reasons that are still not exactly clear, Mr. McCarthy eventually decided not to pursue it. With a new GOP majority in the offing, the job seems his for the taking.

We cannot help but wonder if that is such a good idea. The recent troubles with the now-passed infrastructure bill leave us wondering if Mr. McCarthy’s got the stuff to hold his members in line when it counts.:snip:

4 hours ago, Geee said:
editorial-is-mccarthy-up-to-the-job-if-the-gop-win
Washington Times

If your troops won’t follow, can you really be considered a leader? It’s a question the Republicans need to start asking themselves now that the polls are showing a GOP takeover of the U.S House of Representatives after the next election is highly likely.

Can some kind soul please point out to me the Last GOP Speaker of the House that had control of his members?

3 hours ago, Valin said:

Can some kind soul please point out to me the Last GOP Speaker of the House that had control of his members?

Well, I think the GOP needs a women speaker. Mothers know how to keep children in line;)

Pelosi was able to pass through some awful legislation that even HER people didn't care for, but she took those misbehaving kids to the woodshed. Now, after years of teaching kids to disrespect their parents - the kids have come back to haunt her:P

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Geee said:

Well, I think the GOP needs a women speaker. Mothers know how to keep children in line;)

Pelosi was able to pass through some awful legislation that even HER people didn't care for, but she took those misbehaving kids to the woodshed. Now, after years of teaching kids to disrespect their parents - the kids have come back to haunt her:P

I have to ask myself is Why he didn't take the job after Boehner? Maybe he is smart enough to not want the job. It seems to me being #2-3 you have a lot of power, but none of the headaches. Being Minority leader (No Real Power) and Speaker 2 totally different jobs.

As Always I..Could..Be..Wrong.

1 hour ago, Valin said:

I have to ask myself is Why he didn't take the job after Boehner? Maybe he is smart enough to not want the job. It seems to me being #2-3 you have a lot of power, but none of the headaches. Being Minority leader (No Real Power) and Speaker 2 totally different jobs.

As Always I..Could..Be..Wrong.

You think he could be wondering if being Speaker has a future at this period in time ;)

@Geee

More like is it worth the bother. Yeah you have power to get things done, but you've also got a bullseye on your back.  Not just from the Democrats & the Media (but I repeat myself :D), But also all the factions inside the party.

OTOH your get that high in the party, you've got an ego. So maybe he thinks he can handle it.

9 hours ago, Valin said:

@Geee

More like is it worth the bother. Yeah you have power to get things done, but you've also got a bullseye on your back.  Not just from the Democrats & the Media (but I repeat myself :D), But also all the factions inside the party.

OTOH your get that high in the party, you've got an ego. So maybe he thinks he can handle it.

I was implying that maybe he wants to be third in line ;)

McCarthy's 8-hour speech forces Democrats to delay social spending vote

House Democrats scrapped their plans to hold a vote on a mammoth social spending bill Thursday night after House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) broke their patience with a record-long floor speech.

The big picture: House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) announced shortly after midnight Friday that Democrats would go into recess and return at 8 a.m. to pass the bill, which is opposed by all Republicans. McCarthy finished speaking at 5:10 a.m. ET — marking the longest continued speech since at least 1909.

• His speech, which began at 8:38 p.m., exceeded the previous 21st century record set by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) in 2018 of eight hours and seven minutes.
  • “This one minute feels almost like eight hours now. I want to thank my colleagues for standing with me,” he said of his fellow Republican members who stayed throughout, many nodding off during his speech.:snip: